Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Bump on Face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red Bump on Face
On my right cheek I have a small red spot. This spot looks very much like a fading pimple but it never goes away. When I run my fingers over I can feel a slight bump that also is very similar to a pimple, except it does not go away. The last few weeks I have had some sun exposure to my face that caused some very minor sunburn that quickly developed into a tan. This exposure to the sun seems to have made this red spot grow and feel larger. At first i thought it simply appeared larger due to the darker tint to my face, but the bump is also more pronouced when I run my fingers over it.

I have two questions.

First what exactly could this spot be? Is it a pimple that simply does not go away, if not, what could cause this spot? Second, are there any skin disorders or features that show a rapid change when exposed to the sun?

Thank you for any help you can provide
All red spots get more noticeable in the sun, because heat brings blood to the skin and makes red things redder.  I don't know what you have--it could be a pimple, a blocked pore, an insect bite...  The olnly way to know for sure is to have someone look at it.  I suggest you leave it alone--no squeezing or examining--and see a doctor if it hasn' gone away in 3 weeks.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, face was started.