Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Bump on Upper Thigh

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red Bump on Upper Thigh

A month ago I was on a camping trip where I shared a bed with a girl who I later found out had herpes. We did not have intercourse or any other type of sex for that matter, but did cuddle a little, no touching of the privates. We both had underwear on the whole time. A week later after shaving my pubic area I developed several small red bumps throughout my groin, none of the bumps were on my penis. All of the bumps were independent with a hair in the center. This normally happens after I shave my pubic area. Two weeks later I played/walked 18 holes of golf. After which my sack was red and irretated. The next day I noticed one larger red bump (size of a pencil eraser) that was painful to the touch on my inner thigh. The second day, against better judgement, I made an incision with the tip of a razor into the larger bump. No puss or fluid drained from the bump, just a little blood. I shaved my groin area again which then became red. The bump continued to be sensitive to touch (sore) for a few more days, I was applying neosporin to it. My groin area also felt irretated for a couple of days. After five days the red bump was still the same size, a little sensitive, but I noticed it developed a clear center that was slighlty sunken where I made the cut. I picked at the center with a pin thinking it would drain but their was no fluid inside. After reading posts on this web-site and scanning the internet about herpes I am scared that this bump may have been just that. At first I thought it was just an ingrown hair or infection but the clear center and soreness associtaed with bump are making me second guess. A week after noticing this bump I did go a see my doctor, (a little late I know), who said it did not resemble herpes and was probably a bacterial infection. The bump was almost healed and did have a small (pin head) size scab in the center. She said herpes, can but rarely appears on the thigh, but shows up as clustered blisters. Do you agree with her assesment. I  am just scared that if it was a lesion I may have altered it by picking at it. When herpes shows up does it present itself as a cluster of blisters? I have never had any other sings of herpes before this. Thank You.
I think your doctor is right--this sounds like a bacterial folliculitis, not at all like herpes (not that you could have caught herpes from the kind of activity you describe.)  Lancong it as you did wasn't a good idea, but won't result in any damage.  My advice is to follow your doctor's recommendations and you'll be fine.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
One more comment just for my peace of mind. The girl was wearing a G string and its possible her inner thigh or groin area brushed my inner thigh. We only cuddled for several minutes then slept seperatly. I know I sound like I'm over evaluationg this encounter but the timing of this painful bump freaks me out. Does herpes first appear as a cluster of blisters as opposed to the red bump I described? Also, what would cause the center of this bump to become clear, round and slighlty sunken in the center. It was more pronounced after I applied Neosporin or took a shower? Again, to puss or fluid ever drained from the bump. I know I cut it with a razor. Was it dead skin or is that just how infections that have been lanced heal? Aside from the painful bump would the folliculitis around my groin cause my groin irretation? Thank you for your patience.
Dr. Rockoff. In regard to your post. I pulled up the web-site dermnet.com/menuvirusclinic.html and viewed several pictures of the primary herpes simplex virus II. The pictures showed the virus in the female vigina (vagina). After 5 days from the time "my bump" first appeared it has somewhat the same appearance as some of these pictures/lesions. The center of my (1/8 " diameter) bump in slightly sunken with a pin size dot in the middle. The pictures from this web-site depict a ring like lesion with a sunken middle. Again I only had one bump on my inner thigh that never blisterd. Can the bacterial follicle you described look like these lesions or do you think it could be a single herpes lesion? I am really scared after seeing these pictures. Please give me your opinion. Thank You.
Herpes presents as a cluster of blisters, not a single bump.

Dr. Rockoff

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you for your response doctor. Can you provide me with any info in regard to the shape of the bump/lesion I described. I just started a new relationship and the last thing I want is to put my girl friend in harms way. Thank You. My last post.
Hello.  I am an 18 year old male.  The symptons suggested by the other letter written resembols my problem.  However, I have a large red bump on the shaft of my penis.  It looks like a large pimple.  There are no clusters of other dots around the area; it's just one large bump, about 2mm. long.  When I rub against the bump, there is no serious pain, but at times it feels a little uncomfortable.  The tip of the bump is shiny, with an appearing black dot.  I noticed the bump forming.  However, it started out very small, almost difficult to see.  I am sexually acitive, but just with my girlfriend who as no STD's.  I have not consulted a doctor, because I would prefer not to.  The bump has only been about 2mm. wide for two days now.  I am concerned with what this bump may be, and seek adivce.  Please consider what I have written.  Thank you.
A related discussion, Herpes or No? was started.
A related discussion, Any ideas of what ind any solution is? AQ was started.
Hi I'm a 20 year old an I have a zit or something I have on the side of my penis idk what it was from maybe from being 2 hot down if that can happen well after a few week I finelly popped it with a tak I shouldn't have did that and now I have dead skin that was the same size as the zit is there anything I can do 2 fix this cause it buss me and I know have any STD or anything cause I just got tested negative please help me

by Jforme, less than a minute ago
Hi I'm a 20 year old an I have a zit or something I have on the side of my penis idk what it was from maybe from being 2 hot down there if that can happen well after a few days I finelly popped it with a tak I shouldn't have did that and now I have dead skin that was the same size as the zit is there anything I can do 2 fix this cause it buss me and I know I don't have any STDs or anything cause I just got tested negative please help me
I have a little bump I cant see on my inner thigh by my scrotum, it kinda hurts I don't know where it came from
(I also have little red patches on my scrotum and got a random cut on my pubic area by my penis) please give me answers.