Red Dots

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red Dots

Hi, I am new to the dermatology forum and seeking help.  I have tiny red dots that have begun appearing on my skin.  It started on my chest with 2 dots about a month ago and now it is spreading, first to my torso, and then to my legs.  It's just a few red dots from chest to thigh and these are placed sporadically, but strangely, mostly on the left side of my body.  It looks like I took a red ink pen and dotted myself here and there.  They don't hurt or itch.  What could this be?  It's really worrying me.
From the symptoms that you have described, the possibility of pityriasis rosea needs to be ruled out. Pityriasis rosea is a common human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash may be accompanied by low-grade headache, fever, nausea and fatigue and itching. Topical and oral steroids are needed. Water, sweat, and soap may cause irritation and should be avoided in the disease. Topical zinc oxide and calamine lotion are useful for pruritus.

Initially, a primary plaque, called a herald patch, is seen. Then it is followed by a distinctive, generalized rash 1-2 weeks later. The rash lasts approximately 2-6 weeks and is found in a Christmas tree pattern over the trunk and abdomen.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Thank you for your comments.  I am waiting for an appointment with a dermatolgist but in the meantime I "googled" pityriasis rosea and reviewed the photos and my red dots look nothing like this.  The red dots I have on my skin are tiny in size and are sporadic, not clustered.  As the time continues to pass, I am seeing more and more dots but again, they are coming up here and there and not bunched together.  It's quite strange.
Another possibility would be cherry angiomas. Cherry angiomas are made up of clusters of tiny capillaries at the surface of the skin, forming a small round dome ("papule"), which may be flat topped.

The underlying cause for the development of cherry angiomas is not understood, so nothing can be predicted about their prevention but rest assured; they are harmless.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. Treatment can be started only when the diagnosis is confirmed. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.  I was finally able to see a dermatologist who diagnosed these red dots as capillary hemangiomas.  I assume that this is the same thing or along the same line as your suggestion above.  I am relieved to know that this is harmless, yet, I am bothered by the number of these that continue to appear on my skin.  Once again, I appreciate your time and your comments. Your input was helpful.
The underlying cause for the development of cherry angiomas is not understood, so nothing can be predicted about their prevention but rest assured; they are harmless. If they are to be removed for cosmetic reasons, electrosurgery and cryosurgery can be used. More recently pulsed dye laser or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatment are also used.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.