Red Dry Itchy Rash in Belly Button

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red Dry Itchy Rash in Belly Button

I noticed a few weeks ago that the inside of my belly button was red and dry.  I didn't pay much attention to it at first, but it seems to have gotten worse, and now itches.  There are no bumps, it is just simply red, dry, and slightly itchy on the inside of my belly button.  I am prone to the small fungal rashes on my arms.  I tried putting an antifungal cream on it but that doesn't seemed to have worked.  I do not have a naval piercing and haven't recently changed any shower or laundry products.  Any suggestions on what this could be and what treatment I should use?  Thank you.

I cannot confirm anything without examination,but it sounds like eczema.

Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

Hope it helped. Take care.