Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Eyebrows

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red Eyebrows

Hi doctor. I've had a problem with my eyebrows my whole life. I'm 20 now and every attempt to fix them has been unsuccessful (only seen one doctor recently though). She had some idea as to what I had (didnt know the name) and she prescribed some medecines that didnt help (desowin/retinol(sp?),vitamin D,and a few others).  The problem is this: the skin directly beneath my eyebrows and a little bit around them is a red color.   It varies from a light pink to deep red when irritated or scratched.  They are also sort of flaky/scaly, but not excessivly so, and the eyebrows hair itself is kind of sparse.  I really want to get this taken care of because it affects my self esteem, i'm a good looking guy otherwise!! :) Do you have any idea as to what i might have and what might help me (drugs,freaky laser stuff,names of nobel prize winning dermatologists, or anything! :) )

Thanks a lot!
Yes, here are my suggestions:

1.  Do not under any circumstances rub, scratch, or touch your eyebrows with your fingers for a period of 30 days.  No exceptions.  Not even one.
2.  Wash only with Cetaphil soapless cleanser (over the counter) and apply Cetaphil lotion after washing (ditto.)
3.  Do not examine yourself in the mirror.  Not once.  No exceptions.

If after 30 days you are unable to rid yourself of the conviction that your eyebrows are excessively red, you should consider working with both a dermatologist and psychotherapist to deal with body-image issues.

Your brain has to know rthat no disease causes red eyebrows.  Only rubbing the area out of concern that it's too red can do that.

Now your brain has to convey that to your gut.  If if can't, get help.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi, thanks for your quick response. I kind of have to disagree with you though, it IS some sort of disease, my dermatologist agrees with me (just can't remember the name of it), my friends and family have all noticed the redness etc. I'm 100% positive that it's not psychologically induced, theyve been red since i was born! Ive noticed that you dont reply to comments but could you possibly email me some ideas as to where i might find the name of what i have and ways to treat it? thanks!
I am a 25 year old female, and i too suffer from "red eyebrows"  mine is outlining just above my eyebrows about 1/8-1/4 inch in thickness, I do however have very thick eyebrows.  My 3 month old niece also has "red eyebrows"  The majority of people in my family have very rosy cheeks.  I happen to have the rosiest..... to the point where they are just sometimes down right red.....suspiciously the same color as my red eyebrows!  My earlobes also have this intense blushing far more than anyone else in my family.
I'm honestly not sure what disease the doctor thought it is (perhaps a call to him . . .?)  But if the eyebrows have been red since birth, 1) Why should a treatment make them change now and 2) Why should what you'va always had trouble you so much?

Even if psychology isn't causing your problem, it's certainly getting in the way of your coming to terms with it.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi, I too have red eyebrows.  The hair on the outer third of my eyebrows is also very very sparse.  This is part of a condition called 'ulerythema ophryogenes'.(orpryo - meaning eyebrow) (also know as keratosis pilaris atrophicans faciei).  This condition also has a variant called 'atrophoderma vermiculata' (also know by other names)- this causes the skin on the cheeks to become pitted and red - the condition is also referred to as 'honeycomb atrophy'

I am been misdiagnosed, referred to psychiatrists, and put on valium on account of this because people in the medical proffession said there was no condition like this and it must be pschosomatic!  Fortunately I was correctly diagnosed recently - after having the condition since age 14. (I am age 39)

I feel for anyone who is suffering from the stigma this condition brings and also the amount of misdiagnosis given it.  

It is a very rare genetic disorder (I suggest you do a search thru medline on the above words for further info - unfortunately there is not much info on it) I am not medically trained but would like to hear from anyone with this genetic disorder.  I personally would like to find out more about it and also get in touch with people with it.  I can be contacted at the above e-mail address.