Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Eyelids

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red Eyelids

My eyelids are red. Upper and lower. Noit the whole eyelid just the edges, where the lashes are. Sometiems slightly so, other times it looks as if I've been crying. My eye doctor said this is normal  and just part of my "flora". He attributed it to some kind of bacteria living in my eyelids (?).

He prescribed  a nightly wash with warm water to keep it under control (but not eliminate it). I'm self conscious about having red eyelids and would rather eliminate it altogether as opposed to just controlling it.

Is there anything else i can do besides the warm water wash?... Medication? Ointment? Lifestyle change?

Many Thanks ....

You don't mention whether this is a new problem (olr whether you perhaps just noticed it.)  It's normal to have some redness of the eyelids, because the skin is thin, and you can see blood vessels through it.  Inflammation (eczema, infections) can make the redness more intense, and this can last for weeks until the normal skin color returns.

If there is no active inflammation, then there's really nothing to do except accept the way your eyelids look.  If you have any doubts as to whether inflammation is present, you may want to get an opinion from a skin doctor or an eye doctor (I'm not sure what kind of doctor you already saw.)  Inflammation of the lids is called blephariris and can be treated with cortisone, etc. But you need to be prepared to hear that your eyelids are just pink and will stay that way.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I too have this problem. I have had it for many years. But I def wasnt born with it. Got it around the age of 20. Red where the eye lashes are and get a build up of white stuff in the mornings. cleaning it makes the eyes alot more red. Looks like I have been crying.
My Dr said it could be controlled by washing with baby shampoo.
It comes and goes. some days it is not much of a problem, then the nxt day it will be alot worse. VERY annoying. There must be a more reliable treatment/cure....

Lee