Red Hot area above inside right ankle/lower leg

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

On July 21,2010 I went running at about  6pm.  It was hot and humid right after a rain shower.   On July 23, 2010 about 5 pm I noticed a solid red area on my right leg  inside and above my ankle about the size of softball.  It is hot to the touch , slightly swollen and has stiffness in the skin with the area moving up my leg to mid calf.  There is a little pain behind my ankle, but no itch.  Benedyl seemed to reduce the readiness.    Historically I think I saw a very small area near the ankle, but thought it was a rash which just disappeared,   I am 65 years old and this is near a the lower end of a vien was removed for a double heart bypass in 1993.  Is this a hydration related?
  • Red welt (1 replies):
    I have a very large red welt on my stomach. It is approx...[more]
  • q (3 replies):
    i have pain in ma right thigh it is like my leg is cont...[more]
  • skin welts (1 replies):
    I noticed what I thought was a bug bite on my ankle one ...[more]
  • I NEED HELP PLEASE (1 replies):
    ABOUT 6 YRS. AGO I WENT TO THE DOCTOR BECAUSE I DEVELOPE...[more]
  • Rash around an old scar (1 replies):
    I cut the top of my foot open a few years ago and I occa...[more]
From the symptoms the possibility of cahfing skin and cellulitis leg needs to be ruled out. Cellulitis is an acute infection of skin and soft tissues characterized by localized pain, swelling, tenderness, erythema, and warmth.It usually follows a break in the skin, such as a fissure, cut, laceration, insect bite, or puncture wound.
Blood culture sensitivity is often done to find out the causative pathogen and its sensitivity to various antibiotics. So I suggest you to consult a dermatologist to get the diagnosis confirmed.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.