Red Patch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red Patch

I have fair skin, about three years ago I noticed this red patch on my forehead and it has continued to grow, it is only flaky and not risen from the skin nor itchy. I have tried cortizon, steroid cream and anything I can think of. Do you have any idea of what this may be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This red patch is scaly and not itchy. Scaly patch of skin that is noted on the face may be a fungal infection, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. It s best to have the scales evaluated. Microscopic evaluation of the scales will be able to help ascertain if a fungal infection is present. A KOH evaluation of the scales will be able to help. I suggest also that you refrain from applying any creams or lotions on the area if this does not improve the condition. Let us have this evaluated first so that the right medications may be given. Dermatitic skin conditions may arise from unnecessary application of cream on the face.