Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Rash Corner of Mouth Spreading

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red Rash Corner of Mouth Spreading

I had 2 blotches on right corner of mouth 1/4 inch diameter total size. Dermatologist said it was oral dermatitis and prescribed Noritate 1% for up to a month. Since applying (1 week ago), the rash has spread to 2 smaller spots very close to the original 2 at the right corner of mouth. One lower near chin the other in crease between nose and cheek. What can I expect? Why did the doctor seem to diagnose so quickly and get me out of her office? This is very frustrating as I have had it now for several weeks.I first used cordisone on my own (bad move?). Rash sometimes burns at night. Thank you.
JD
If it were just in the corner of your mouth, it might be a yeast infection called angular stomatitis.  (Nothing serious--you would just apply a cream like over-the-counter clotrimazole 1% for a week or two.)

On the other hand, if it affects the crease between the nose and the cheek, then most likely your dermatologist was correct to diagnose perioral dermatitis.  For this Noritate (metronidazole) is appropriate, but treatment can take several weeks.  You might want to ask your skin doctor about adding oral antibiotics like doxycycline for a few weeks.  This speeds the process considerably.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
My little girl is 3 years old. 10 days ago I noticed what appeared to be a dry spot by the corner of her mouth.  Last night it turned into a red rash spot that seems to be getting bigger. When I wash her face she complains that it hurts her. She isn't scratching or touching it or complaining of itching. Is this a form of impetigo?  Or and allergy and what can I apply to make it go away?
A related discussion, red area on side of mouth was started.
A related discussion, Very Visible was started.