Red Rash Spreading Around Armpits

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red Rash Spreading Around Armpits

5762265?1275844284
Yesterday, I noticed a rash (raised concentrated area of red blotches forming a kind of circle about an inch across) under my right arm near my armpit with some more scattered blotches going down around the side of my armpit. I also noticed a few red blotches near my left armpit. I bought cortisone cream and applied it twice yesterday, evening and night.

This morning, the redness has spread and now there is a large red blotchy "ring" around both armpit about a few inches wide. Towards the edges of the "ring" it gets more scattered.

It itches very badly and the cortisone cream doesn't seem to be helping. The only thing out of the ordinary I have done today is go to the pool at our apartment. I went every day this week for the first time this summer. I have note changed deodorant, detergent, got new clothes, no new razor, or new perfume anytime recently. What is it? How do I get rid of it?
One possibility for such type of rash is intertrigo. An intertrigo is an inflammation (rash) of the body folds.It most commonly occurs due to bacterial, viral or fungal infection. An intertrigo usually appears red and raw-looking, and may also itch, ooze, and be sore.

Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have a rash under both my armpits and also on my belly below my belly button. I have been fighting the rash on my belly for over a year now, but recently it has developed in my armpits. I've used cortisone for a while which helps a little but it always comes back. It itches severely and deodorants make it even worse. What should I do?
i have the same case.:( what did you do to make it better