Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Ring/Rash around Mole ?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red Ring/Rash around Mole ?

My wife noticed a red ring/halo around a pre-existing mole on her back last week (June 16, 2006.) The red area resembled a rash and the mole was in the middle of it. Please paste this url link to see a photo of what it looked like:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/metranil/before.jpg

The area did not itch, flake or bleed. The area was not raised. We confirmed through an earlier photo from January 2006 that the mole did exist already, but didn't have the ring around it.

I was concerned about melanoma, and convinced her to make an appointment with her General Practitioner for the following Monday, June 19th. Our dermatologist has recently retired and so it would've been a longer wait to see a new derm.

However, by the time the appointment arrived, just three days after discovering this area, it had mostly disappeared. Now, it completely gone. Here is a current photo:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/metranil/after.jpg

Her General Practitioner didn't seem too concerned, and thought it might have been a yeast infection. She gave her some topical cream.

My questions to the doctor:

1. Based upon the description and the before/after photo, does it appear this is anything to worry about area? The area is back to normal, now...

2. If a red halo around a mole might be indicative of potential melanoma, would it disappear that quickly (3 days)? Perhaps this was just some sort of irritation that we just happened to see before it went away?

3. I don't want to over-react or under-react, but what course of action, if any, would you recommend at this point? My wife has an appointment with a nurse-practitioner dermatologist in 2 weeks, but I'm not sure that is needed at this point, depending upon your answer.

Thank you very much,

Brian

1. Based upon the description and the before/after photo, does it appear this is anything to worry about area?
No.
It's not indicative of anything but temporary irritation.
I would keep the appointment, get a definitive diagnosis, and then more than likely forget about it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff