Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Scrotum Syndrome or Atypical Herpes? Dr. Rockoff please.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Red Scrotum Syndrome or Atypical Herpes? Dr. Rockoff please.

My entire scrotum is red with mild to moderate burning sensation. I also have some small patches of red skin on the ridge around the head of my penis (circumcised)which occassionally burn. I have never had any blisters. I have seen family doctor, urologist, and dermatoligist (most recent). All say it is not herpes (HSV1/2 IgG = 5.2, HSV2 IgG <0.9 negative. This all started in April with what I (and family doctor) thought was a prostate infection...aching behind testicals, mild numbness/tingling in urethra, mildly enlarged prostate, PST (cancer screen) negative. Over next 4 weeks scrotum became red/buring and small red areas with buring on head of penis. 3 antibiotics including doxycycline and Cipro had no effect. Creams for yeast also had no impact.

Over 4 months since April the symptoms have never completely disappeared although they do occassionally subside somewhat for at most 1 to 3 days before coming back strong for as much as three weeks. Additional symptoms include periodic aching in buttocks and down back of legs as well as occassional pains in feet & toes. The tissue (below the skin) between my scrotum and rectum is generally sensitive and long periods of sitting become uncomfortable and can exacerbate the burning in my scrotum and head of penis as if putting pressure on the nerves...standing provides some immediate relief. Masturbation (at most once per week)(I'm abstaining from sex for fear of giving it to my wife) produces redness of penis and buring deep within the tissues behind the scrotum.

All these symptoms have been shared with the doctors but based on appearance and titres they say it's not genital herpes. (I'm concerned about herpes because of leg/foot pain.) Most recent diagnosis was by dermatologist who said it's Red Scrotum Syndrome. She said it's not curable, not contagious to my wife, and we can only treat the symptoms (amitriptyline, which does knock down the discomfort but not the redness). I can't find very much information on Red Scrotum Syndrome, mostly chat room stuff and no one in these chat rooms complains of leg/foot pain.

I would like to believe this isn't herpes, I've spent a long time worry about it and abstaining from sex. My next option is an infectious disease specialit. Red Scrotum Syndrome? Herpes? Other? What do you think and where can I turn next?

Thanks.