Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Skin on Neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red Skin on Neck

Hi There

I'm a 51 year old male in good health. The skin on my neck only is always red. I used to think this was a shaving rash, but the redness continues around to the area at the back of my neck where I don't shave and where the skin is protected from the sun by my hair. I can't remember when this condition started. I just always remember having it.

The neck is slightly more sensetive after shaving, but I don't think this is the cause of the problem.

Can you help?

Yours sincerely

Paul Dunn
I'd need to see you to be sure, but chronic sun exposure causes redness like what you describe.  It's mostly on the sides of the neck, with sparing of the skin below the chin, which is sun-protected.  As for the redness under the hair behind, that may be a birthmark common in the area that people don't notice till they look.  Neither of these has any significance, but they can be removed with lasers and such.  See a doctor to be sure.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff