Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Spot on Calf

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red Spot on Calf

Two weeks ago I noticed a small red spot on my calf about six inches up from the ground. Kind of a triangular shape to it. Apparently it appeared pretty suddenly since I had not noticed it before. As far as I can see it is limited to that area. So far have not seen anything like elsewhere on the body. It does not itch, though leg at times in general area of rash does ache slightly from time-to-time. Area is about half an inch in diameter and pink/red. Does not seem to be growing, at least not since I noticed it. Not raised, no pustules that I can see. When pressed it fades, though color returns in a few seconds (blanchable). At different times of the day the color can seem lighter or darker, not sure if this is due to sitting, standing, lying down. I have not taken any new medicine that might cause a reaction. I thought that fungal infections always itched and that bacterial infections were painful and swollen, neither the case in my situation. I have tried using over the counter medications, but have not noticed much difference, though only have used them for a week or less. After seeing pictures on the internet, it appears that this could be many things. And quite frankly I am making myself a nervous wreck over something that is probably not serious, yet my imagination is running wild with it and I am scaring myself to death. I should mention that I have a severe phobia about going to doctors. Is there anything that I could try OTC, or perhaps I should try the creams for a longer time. I would be so greatful if you could ease my mind. I am worrying about herpes zoster, Kaposi's sarcoma, skin cancer, all of the worst case scenarios. I would greatly appreciate any thing you can say to help calm me down a bit. Thank you in advance for your help.
Worrying about your health and being phobic about doctors and having access to the internet--that's a pretty bad combination . . .

Your symptoms remind me of none of the dire diagnoses you are entertaining.  This is probably a minor irritation of some sort.  I advise you to leave the spot alone, apply nothing but vaseline once a day after washing, and showing the spot to a doctor in 4 weeks if it's still there, though it may well not be.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I also have this strange red spot (blotch) on my ankle.  When pressed it changes color to normal skin color and when I am in cold water, for example at the beach, it changes to a very dark red.  There is no pain, tenderness or itching of this spot.  I have questioned several doctors and have not yet gotten a definite answer of what it is.  I was told by one doctor it looked like a birthmark, but yet I have not had this mark all my life.
A related discussion, Round Red Spot was started.
A related discussion, red spot on my calfe-leg was started.