Dermatology Expert Forum
Red Spots on Penis Head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red Spots on Penis Head

I am a 31 YO male, in good health, in a monogamous relationship of 6 months with no history of previous STDs and 2 clean tests within the last 12 months.  Approximatly 4 months ago,  after having sex with my girlfriend - she has been tested and has come up clean. I noticed on the head of my penis, right side, on the rim, some red spots that might have initially looked like broken blood vessels.  The redness continues to this day, perhaps it has faded some, also the area of redness might have expanded a little - difficult for me to say for sure, and it might be irritated by sex or masturbation.  I have been seen by 2 physicians - GP's - in the last 3 months, the first looked, seemed unconcerned and said that it was "normal" skin...  The second I saw today, he noticed the redness - it appears as several red spots that have smaller shiny features to them, and fade somewhat when the skin is stretched...  He believes that the coloring is harmless as well, that it does not appear to be Herpes, Syphillis (syphilis), cancer, warts, or any other major infection....  Neither of these physicians were Dermatologists and neither reccomended that I see a specialist.  The red area is fairly "painless" for a lack of a better word... No itching, no apparent pealing, no blistering, no bleeding, no ulcering, and the area, for the most part, appears to be flat, not raised...  There may be some discomfort involved - it is difficult to explain, and perhaps it is my overactive imagination, however, when I push on the area, it feels as if I am irritating a nerve that is in the right side of my thiegh - weird I know, and it does not always exist, and may infact just be a muscle in my leg that radiates pain in an unusual way...  Anyway, it is a strange pinkish red coloration that apparently has no answer to it.  I was hoping that you might have some ideas?  Thank you for your time.
I think it probably was some form if irritation, and because penis skin is so sensitive, redness that follows irritation can last a long time.  I Your doctors'' opinions that this is not an STD sound reasonable.  My advice would be to ignore the redness for another 4 weeks, and don't put anything on it at all, other than moisture lotion if you want.  If it's still there, show a doctor then.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you for your answer, contrary to your recommendation - before I saw your response, I began to apply cortizone 10 with aloe, and the area of redness has virtually disappeared...  It amazes me that this has been there for some time, and the application of this product seems to be working - only been 3 days, and I am fearful that it may return, however, it appears to be clearing up to condition.  If you check back on this post, perhaps you could explain to me what and or why this seems to be working?  Thank you again.
Hydrocortisone helps irritations...

Dr. Rockoff
I am haveing the same problem you are. I am very confused about this red spot. Just like you say it looks like a busted blood vessel on the right side of my penis. Sometimes it fades out but comes back if i masterbate or have sex. I have no clue who to see or what to do about this. I have seen a doctor about it and he says it looks like a irritation not a std. Once again i guess its a mystery???
It is disconcerting, to say the least, to have a "mysterious" coloring, bump on your penis, that is for sure.  It appear that after 6 days of using the hydrocortisone, that the "condition" has cleared up, however, I am wondering what will happen when I stop using the product.  Anyway, it appears to be working, when, in the past, other solutions of hydrocortisone have not had a similar effect.
I have the same problem as the guy who first posted the question. But I last had sex months ago. We are both clean. I am uncircumsized. I have the same exact symptoms as him. But the redness is pretty much gone, and the red spots are almost unseeable. I think there is some skin peeling. Because their is white stuff in the skin. But ive had that before. Im embarased to say. My dog was licking my penis one morning while i was sleeping. Do you think that has anything to do with this. Is this herpies (herpes)? There is no blistering at all, but when the redness first came there was some discomfort when touching it. And It warmed a bit when I pee. But not anymore. It didnt feel uncomfortable peeing at all.
Its been 2 weeks approx since I started treatment with hydrocortisone, while I believe it is clearing the condition up, if I stop applying the medication, the redness will reappear, it isnt painful, as I stated before, and seems to be benign, other than the coloration...
I just recently had red spots develop on my penis head as well. Never had them before and I am worried. My girlfriend and I just had sex this weekend and now she is itching and thinks she may have a yeast infection - at least one of her friends thinks that. I have been putting some antibiotic ointment on my penis head and its helped a little but not that much. The earliest I can get into the doctors is next Tuesday. Should I go to a doctor earlier or what do you think it is? Any replies would be appreciated.
I have a similar problem, I hope I can get some answers.  I have had these recurring red spots on my penis that come and go--they spontaneously appear one afternoon and disappear two days later--only to come back a few days later.  This has been going on continuosly for the last three months.  Sometimes only one or two welts appear, they are randomly scattered throughout the glans (glands)--and sometimes there are multiple spots--right now I have about 11 or 12 spots on my glans (glands) and foreskin (I am not circumcised).  I have had this occur for the last two months continuously.  I recently had an STD scan and it all came back clean--including herpes.  The last time I had sex was 5 months ago and I used a condom.  I had a doctor look at my welts and he said that I shouldn't worry, it is just a cleanliness issue.  So I tried washing everything and air drying--two times a day.  But the spots still come back very frequently. I saw a second doctor and recommended a HSV II test.  The herpes test I took was a polymerase chain reaction test (PCR).  Now I am wondering: how accurate is this test?  The only samples they collected from me is blood and urine.  Is the test reliable from these samples, especially if I had no welts at the time of testing?  Or could it be something else?  If anyone has answers, I'd like to know. I've tried many things.  Help.
A related discussion, Red spot on penis and a lot of irritation. was started.
A related discussion, having small red dots was started.
A related discussion, penis glans (glands) having small red dots was started.
A related discussion, I am experiencing the same problem was started.
A related discussion, I HAVE THE PROBLEM BUT FOR ONE YEAR ALREADY was started.
I had unprotected sex with my gf on her period and are days later my pennis head is all red and it has like red dots is that bad I'm worried..