Red above lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red above lip

The main issue of concern is a very small area above my upper lip.  One of my worst fears is cold sore, HSV-1 infection.  I may have ruled this out, but I would appreciate a professional opinion.  Just above my lip is a small red area, a little bit rough but the texture really is no different from the rest of my facial skin.  I thought it might be shaving irritation, but the blade does not hit that area when shaving.  There is small amount of redness, and maybe one or two tiny tiny red spots, but I would not say they are bumps or blisters.  About 4 or five times throughout the day, for about 30 seconds each time, the area will itch, and I will not scratch it and it will go away.  There is NO tingling, persistent itching or pain at all.  
I stress again that this is a tiny tiny reddish area just above the lip and toughing the vermilion border that looks as though it is part of my lip.  It does not irritate me, there is no hardness or raised appearance, just a slight roughness.   I have had two people in the past three months that I have kissed.  I had sex with one.  The sexual partner had no visible sores or anything and I was looked at by a general physician shortly after who did not see anything out of the ordinary on my face or in my mouth.  The more recent girl whom I kissed I looked at her lips a week later around the time and thought maybe she had had something, but I suspect it was just my imagination.    I first noticed this reddish area about a month ago.  It has not changed or worsened as best as I can tell.  I think the rare and brief itching during the day is simply because my mind triggered it, a result of worrying too much about any small thing that crops up.  I look at this post and it is exhaustive, so I will get to the point.  

My question is whether there are mild symptoms associated with herpes or whether i could have something in the herpes family that is lesser known, or if this is just irritation above the lip (aquaphor and chapstick don't really change the appearance).  I do also have the tiny barely visible forsyce's spots directly on my upper lip.  I have never had cold sores or fever blisters before.  This feels a little ridiculous, but I know that a powerful enough imagination and an overactive mind can sometimes only be put to rest by some sort of professional opinion.    THank you for your time.

This could be cold sores or pimples. Pimples usually have little pus in them. Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus, and they're contagious. Signs and symptoms of cold sores include:
-Small, painful, fluid-filled blisters on a raised, red, painful area of your skin
-Pain or tingling, called the prodrome, often precedes the blisters by one to two days
-Usual duration of seven to 10 days

Cold sores usually appear on your lips. Occasionally, they occur on your nostrils, chin or fingers.

Cold sores generally clear up without treatment in seven to 10 days. If you experience frequent bouts, your doctor may prescribe an antiviral medication to treat cold sores.

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively.  One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue. Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

Let us know if you need any further information.

Regards.

i have that to. i was talking to my dad and he said he gets them sometimes to so he said put rubbing alcohal (alcohol) and it will be  cleared up less than a weak i know im not a pro. but it cleared up fast . by the way its a type of rash . it will sting but that means its working . mine has cleared up probly 50% and its the second day
Alcohols experimental situations have shown to have antiviral activity against herpes simplex and other enveloped viruses.But then one has to weigh the irritation potentiality too against the resolution of symptoms.
Read -Alcohols in exp..situations