Red and dry skin at sides of mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red and dry skin at sides of mouth

I have red and dry skin that sometimes skin peels off at the sides of my mouth. I have been using different mousturizers and it just keeps getting worse, I have had it for about a month now and it won't go away. Could it be a form of excema? Please help me, asap.
From the symptoms it looks like angular cheilitis. It is an inflammatory lesion at the corner of the mouth and manifests as deep cracks or splits. More commonly it is caused by a fungal infection.

Dry out the lesions completely by patting and air drying after washing with a mild soap and use petroleum jelly to lock out moisture. It is vital that the affected areas be clean and completely dry before application of the jelly. You can also apply small amounts of athlete’s foot cream which is available over the counter. Since you had more redness after applying the tea tree oil, so it looks like irritant contact dermatitis to that. Please do not use it and instead use plain Vaseline.

If the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist as oral antimicrobials may be needed. I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep us posted on how you are doing. Kind regards.