Red and dry spot in legs during winter time

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have Red and dry spot in my leg and hip skin during the winter time.  Some times, I feel itch, some time is ok.  When I am walking, my pants contact the skin, I feel itch and very uncomfortable.  The red and dry spot skin will get better start from late spring until to fall season.  It has been like that for the last 6 years.  I do not see it is geting better, but worst.  What is this problem for my skin?  What is your recommendation?

It sounds like you are having dry skin or xerosis and the dryness is exacerbated in winters due to the weather changes and dryness in air. ). Dry skin usually results from environmental factors that you can wholly or partially control. These include hot or cold weather with low humidity levels, long-term use of air conditioning or central heating, and washing or bathing too much.

This dryness of skin can be due to eczema also. For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

First of all use good quality moisturizers liberally on the dry skin and avoid taking bath with very hot water.Instead use luke warm water and apply moisturizer immediately after patting dry the skin.You can use humidifiers at home to reduce the dryness in the air and take adequate amounts of fluids. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

If the symptoms persist then pls get it evaluated from a dermatologist as confirmatory diagnosis can be made only after examination.

Hope this helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.

Hello, Kindd,

Thank you for your good information.  After reading your letter, I tried to use Lotion (NIVEA body lotion--for dry skin) every day after I completed shower.  Just trying it for only five days, my skin is getting better and better.  Now, after two weeks doing this, my skin is much better than before.  I greatly appreciate your good recommendations.

Thank you for your help!