Dermatology Expert Forum
Red bump underskin in pubic area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red bump underskin in pubic area
About a week ago I knowticed a small red bump that resembled a inflamed hair follicle, but did not see any stray hair under the skin. The spot was in the pubic region towards the top of the pubic hair line. Playing around with it seemed to irrate it and soon a large cyst like bump formed UNDER the skin. I could feel it best using two fingers and could roll it around between my fingers. The bump was soft and fairly tender to touch. To my best knowledge there was no blister on top of the skin, the skin was raised a little but it seemed to be caused by the bump under the skin. Last night i noticed a small blood blister forming on top of the skin. This morning it poped and a small clear fluid came out followed by a little blood. The Redness immediately subsided and is no longer sensitive to touch. But there is a small indent now where the blood and blister formed last night. I can not feel the bump under the skin any longer.

Is this inflamed hair folicle gone crazy or is this somethign more serious/infectious?

It sounds like an inflamed follicle.  The lump you've been feeling under the skin is most likely inflammatory tissue.  The recent "popping" may well be from your manipulating it.  Best to leave it alone, so the body can reabsorb the inflammation, which it no doubt will.  If it worsens, you can show it to a doctor.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Forgot to mention the weekend that i noticed the red spot I had a fever of 102, sore throat, night chills/sweats and sore muscles.
A related discussion, small red lump in pubic area was started.