DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Red bumps, don't itch
by fisz, Mar 24, 2009
Hey.

On last Friday, I noticed red bumps on my upper arms and they don't itch at all. They are small, like half a centimeter in diameter. A couple of days later, more bumps appear on my lower arm, and some appear on my neck and my waist, and also 3 bumps appeared near my knees. Now, they vary in size and some of them look like insect bite.

I thought they were mosquito bites since I got them when I slept without wearing a shirt. However, from my experience insect bites would itch. I also suspected flea bites, but I'm not sure.

I don't have history of allergies and I haven't taken any medications or new foods. STDs is also out of the list. Could anyone help me out?
Member Comments (6)
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Mar 24, 2009

I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be due to cherry angiomas,folliculitis,contact dermatitis,sweat dermatitis or dermatitis. Cherry angiomas are made up of clusters of tiny capillaries at the surface of the skin, forming a small round dome ("papule"), which may be flat topped.

When they first develop, they may be only a tenth of a millimeter in diameter and almost flat, appearing as small red dots.Pls don’t worry as they are harmless.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion or Neosporin cream on the spots as it will help in soothing the skin. If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.

by fisz, Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for the help.

I went to a doctor this morning and she said that they were only insect bites though since they all appeared on exposed area and they don't seem suspicious.

However, about cherry angiomas, when you said that it is harmless, did you also mean that they will vanish on their own?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
by Dr J SinghBlank, Mar 25, 2009

Cherry angiomas doc’t disappear on their own.By harmless,I meant that they are benign but they may require  cryosurgery,electrosurgery or laser for their removal.

I hope that helps.Pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.Kind regards.
by fisz, Mar 25, 2009
After I visited my doctor, I sought for advice from my friend who is studying medicine right now. He asked me every detail of my bumps and not only he agreed that they are just insect bites, he even told me what those insects are.

He said that they're just bedbugs. They come out at night to suck your blood and in the morning, all that is left is just itch. When you scratch them, they become seriously big red bumps that last for a few days. He said that you won't see bedbugs during the day since they are all dormant and hiding in your bed/pillow at this time.

I started to sleep somewhere else last night and no new bumps appear. :)

Thanx to all.. Bless ya. :)
by fisz, Mar 25, 2009
But why didn't I feel any itch in the beginning? That mysterious.. Hmmmmm....
by kaylalacy92, Jul 17, 2013
hi same thing had happened to me I woke up yesterday with spots on my upper arm and today I got more same exact thing they don't itch and are small im kinda scared im healthy no problems with my skin and I have had my bed for awhile and don't think I have bed bugs has this happened again to you