Dermatology Community
Red bumps, then a week later hives!
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Red bumps, then a week later hives!

Hi,

About 3 weeks ago I left to Australia on vacation for a year.

After about a week I started getting some itchy red bumps on my calves and ankles, over the course of a few days, these bumps spread to my thighs, waistline, neck, and face (mainly on my forehead).  They resembled small bug bites, about the size of mosquito bites, but there were hundreds of them by the time they spread across my body.
The ones on my calves went in almost a straight line up my leg, so I thought I must be bug bites, but they were less patterned on other parts of my body.  

After about 8-10 days the itching and redness faded, but purple scars were left where the bumps had been.  Then a few days later, I started getting hives/welts in the same areas the bumps were. They itch just as bad as the bumps did, but after they flare up, or I take antihistamines, they disappear and no longer itch, typical of hives I think.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing these different stages? Could it be a virus or allergy? And why would the symptoms starts as bumps leaving scars, then now be temporary hives?

I've been to two doctors in Australia when I had the bumps, and they had no idea what it was. It's too expensive to go again!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers