Dermatology Expert Forum
Red bumps on chin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red bumps on chin

Approximately one week ago I noticed a small rash about halfway between my chin and lower lip (on the left side of the center of my face).  It was a little red and a little raised.  It consisted of a cluster of small raised bumps that are visible to the naked eye (you sort-or have to be looking for them but they are definately there).  It does not hurt or itch; it is not on my lips themselves or in the corner of my mouth; it was not accompanied by any other symptons (such as fever, sore throat or the like); it has not broken into open sores or "weeped"; the condition has not changed over the course of the week (i.e., it has not improved or worsened -- the appearance has remained the same); and I have never had an outbreak like this (at least so far as I can recall).  I was tested for a series of STDs approximately four months ago as part of a regular check-up (HIV, herpes, syphillis (syphilis)) and came back negative for all.  I have been dating the same woman for approximately three months now and have had no opportunity for other exposure (and believe that she has not either).  In light of the foregoing, I would not generally be concerned about a herpes infection.  But, in doing my homework before writing this note, I checked out a number of medical sites.  And, I've got to tell you, the small rash on my face is quite similar to the illustrations of a herpes facial infection.  So, that is why I write.

I understand you do not have a full medical history here.  But, given the foregoing: (1) Is the foregoing consistent with herpes? Does it often appear on the chin/skin and not the lips?; (2) What other diagnosis is consistent with the foregoing?; (3) Is it possible to have come in contact with herpes and not develop the outward symptons for months or even years?; (4) What is the likelihood of that?; (5) If it is possible, does that mean I could have gotten it from any girl I've kissed in the past 20 years?  Many thanks.
(1) Is the foregoing consistent with herpes? Does it often appear on the chin/skin and not the lips?;
Not really.  A herpes cold sore looks far more scabby than what you describe.  You wouldn't have to "sort-or have to be looking for them."
(2) What other diagnosis is consistent with the foregoing?;
Blocked pores.
(3) Is it possible to have come in contact with herpes and not develop the outward symptoms for months or even years?;
Yes.  Even if this were herpes, it couldn't be from a recent exposure, since a new attack from a recent exposure would produce fever, swollen glands, etc.
(4) What is the likelihood of that?;
See #3.
(5) If it is possible, does that mean I could have gotten it from any girl I've kissed in the past 20 years?Yes, but as I've said, I don't think what you have is herpes.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks for your prompt response.  At the risk of belaboring the point, I did not want there to be the mis-impression that the bumps are virtually invisible.  They are visible to the naked eye.  When I look in the mirror head on, there is one bump that is visible and a small patch below that appears slightly discolored (redder than the rest of my skin).  Viewed from the side (i.e., profile), however, the bumps are visible as rising from the skin on the redder skin.  There are approximately 5 bumps together in that small group.  I would not describe the skin as scabby -- I know what a scab is and looks like from years of, for example, sliding into home plate and cutting myself.  Also, it bears noting that I am at Day 8 of the bumps appearance (not that I'm counting or anything) and they essentially have not changed since I first observed them.  And one other note: I first noticed the bumps the day after an international flight where I spent a few hours with that side of my face pressing against one of those airline pillows (sleeping).

Does this information modify your view?  Also (and assuming for arguments sake that I had been exposed as a child -- like many other children), does herpes ever manifest itself in the way I've described?  Many thanks (once again).
I think the doctor was right about it being blocked pores.There is something I had that just looked like tiny red bumps and nothing else and was called Peri-oral dermatitis.After 3 months antibiotic it was gone.