Dermatology Expert Forum
Red bumps on upper arms.....

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red bumps on upper arms.....
My son (13) has a lot of little red bumps on his upper arm. The rash is also on his chest and face, not red, but feels like sand paper.

We were told it is "Dariar's (sp?) Disease", a hereditary conditon, with flare-ups more dominant during warm weather. Where can I find more information on this?  

Keratosis Pilaris, and what my son has, appear to be exactly the same, except for the time of the year the outbreak is supposed to occur.

Your input and help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank,
RB
Both conditions have similar appearances: bumps of keratin protein on the arms, and sometimes the face and elsewhere.  Keratosis pilaris is common and mild; Darier's disease is rare and severe, also involving the nails and other skin structures..  Unless there is strong supportive genetic and biopsy evidence, evaluated by an expert dermatologist, I would be skeptical of the diagnosis of Darier's disease.  I suggest you get clarification of this issue before finding wnything else out about a condition your son may not have.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have karatosis on my face and I've lived with it my entire life (Currently 18)... My social life has been seriously compromised and has been a living hell. My cheeks are always bright red and very embarrasing. I read something about green-tinted make-up? does it really look right? well, if you have this condition be prepared to have your life ruined.... there's no way to get rid of the redness.... *cries softly*