Red bumps under arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red bumps under arms

5908796?1279091595
I have had bumps under my arms for a few months now. I don't have health insurance and cannot afford to see a doctor. The bumps started under one arm and eventually spread to the other. They are red, tender and vary in size. Some have whiteheads like a pimple, but they do not feel or act like zits. The white is deeper, farther under the skin. Some have spread back to where my arm and back meet, and down to where my bra sits. I have tried not wearing deodorant and not shaving thinking it was an allergic reaction to something. They go away, but always seem to come back. Typically one arm will be worse than the other, then they will switch. I use oil of olay bar soap and keep the area clean yet it just seems to be getting worse. It seems like there is a ball under the skin, rather than on top like a pimple. They are painful, itchy and bothersome. What should I do? Thank you for your help!
From the symptoms it can be folliculitis or small cysts. Even the possibility of hidradenitis suppurativa needs to be ruled out. Hidradenitis suppurativa is a skin disease that affects areas bearing apocrine sweat glands and hair follicles; such as the underarms, groin and buttocks esp. in women.

Apply warm compresses on the lumps and keep the area clean. Topical antiseptic treatment and topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment is very useful.If still the lumps persist then specific treatment like antibiotics, vit A supplements,c orticosteroid injections, isotretinoin, antiandrogens and sometimes excision and drainage ,laser therapy and radiotherapy are found useful. I feel that you should consult a dermatologist and discuss these options with him.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.