Red burning rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red burning rash

Today I discovered that there is a red rash that goes all around my anus. It burns quite a bit and I also noticed that it is red around my genitals but not burning just a slight itching (which was there before this started due to an external yeast infection). Unfortunately, I have been dealing with an external yeast infection for quite a while. I was at the doctors quite a few times and the last time I went she said just keep it clean and dry. I had been doing that for a while and it seemed to keep it under control. On Monday I went to see the doctor for a bad cold and got put on antibiotics. I don't know if the antibiotics did this (making my yeast infection flare up). I did have unprotected sex two weeks ago, could it be a symptom of an std? I don't know what this is, never experienced anything like it. It burns very badly around my anus and I really need to know what to do about it. I have the yeast medicine the doctor gave me last time I went on antibiotics just in case I developed a yeast infection. I'm wondering if I should take it now and see what happens or just wait and see if it goes away. Could it possibly be a type of jock itch or diaper (without the diaper) rash, I was walking around a lot today in very cold temperatures.

Please Help!
  • itching skin (1 replies):
    I have a rash kind of like a heat rash in between my anu...[more]
  • Anal Rash (1 replies):
    I have some type of rash on my bottom area. It starts ab...[more]
  • skin irritation (1 replies):
    ok i have some kind of like abrasions near my butthole i...[more]
  • Rash on Lower Torso (1 replies):
    Ok, so I get a red rash sort of looking thing whenever I...[more]
  • Rash (1 replies):
    I have a rash that keeps coming back in right at the end...[more]

There could be several causes for the symptoms you are having. You should reconsult with your doctor to rule out the following possible causes -

'Perfumes, chemicals, or dye on toilet paper can cause an allergic reaction.

Moisture from sweat or diarrhea may cause itching. If the anal skin stays wet, the skin begins to break down.

Some foods irritate the anus when they are expelled during a bowel movement. The most common culprits are caffeine, chocolate, beer, nuts, dairy products, and spicy food.

Infections such as pinworms, yeast, and genital warts can cause itching.

Hemorrhoids, which cause painful swelling of blood vessels in the anal area, can cause itching.

Cancer, in rare instances, may be a cause.'

Therte are certain factors which predispose to the risk of developing anal itching as a symptom.

'Factors that put people most at risk for anal itching are as follows:

Diabetes

Recent antibiotic use

Chronic dry skin conditions such as psoriasis and seborrhea

Profuse sweating.'

This could be an anal skin tag secondary to anal fissures, hemorrhoids, warts due to human papillloma virus, moles.

Do discuss these with your doctor and exclude any possible causes in your case.

Post us if you need any further information and let us know about how you are doing.

Regards.
After I posted this, before I went to bed, I put some fungal cream on around my anus and genitals, it's the kind commonly used for yeast infections. When I woke up this morning it wasn't nearly as red and their was hardly any burning or pain. When I checked on tonight the redness and some of the burning did come back (not to the point it was yesterday). I decided to take the yeast medicine tonight and see if that helps. If it doesn't clear up I will get in to see a doctor. My main concern is it's some sort of std although I have no bumps of any kind, no burning during urination or anything, just this very red burning rash around my anus (doesn't go out to the cheeks) and my genitals were red yesterday...not nearly as red today.  

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Regards.