Red cheeks & nose

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red cheeks & nose

For the past eight years the skin in my face (especially on my cheeks and nose) is very red. i need to wear make up all the time to cover it up and am too embarassed to show it to anyone. It is never sore or itchy but sometimes a little dry but does not bother me apart from it's horrible appearance. Could you tell me what it is or anything to do to help? Thank you.

The symptoms you describe could be due to everyday causes such as anger, the food you eat, alcohol, menopause, dehydration, etc.

This could also be - Rosacea; once the above causes have been ruled out.

Rosacea is a cutaneous disorder primarily of convexities of the central part of the FACE, such as FOREHEAD; CHEEK; NOSE; and CHIN. It is characterized by FLUSHING; ERYTHEMA; EDEMA; RHINOPHYMA; papules; and ocular symptoms.

Doctors usually prescribe a topical antibiotic, such as metronidazole, that is applied directly to the affected skin.

For people with more severe cases, doctors often prescribe an oral (taken by mouth) antibiotic. Tetracycline, minocycline, erythromycin, and doxycycline are the most common antibiotics used to treat rosacea. Some people respond quickly, while others require long-term therapy.

Isotretinoin may be considered as a treatment option for all forms of severe or therapy-resistant rosacea.

Sunscreens, particularly those that protect against ultraviolet A and B light waves and have a sun-protecting factor (SPF) of 13 or higher, are recommended for all people with rosacea.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for this and then decide the cause and further plan of management.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.