Red dotted rash on lower legs/feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red dotted rash on lower legs/feet

I was wondering if anybody would be able to help out:

I have what i would describe as a rash on my lower legs and feet, which has recently spread onto the soles of my feet as well. The rash itelf looks like a lot of red pin-***** dots and doesnt itch. When i apply pressure onto the area the red dots are still visible rather than fading.

I have been to see my doctor who didnt have any idea what it was but put me through some blood tests: FBC, U&E, LFT, Glucose and Auto Immunity/Antibodies - all of which came back fine.

Iv noticed as well that recently im getting pain in my shins and ankles when walking or going up staitcases (feels like they are bruised) im not sure if this is related?

For information i am 22, generally fit, BMI is 21, i dont smoke, im currently taking naproxen but this problem was here before that.

If anybody has any ideas i would be very grateful

This rash could be petechiae or purpura. It is caused by ruptured blood vessels
under the skin. Petechiae appear as tiny, red, pinpoint, flat spots. They look as if someone used a fine-tip red ink pen to put little dots on the skin. Purpura is similar, but is larger and can be more purple or blue in color. The two most important signs that you can use to distinguish these spots from other rashes are:
They don't blanch when you press on them. Many other kinds of spots, when pressed, will turn white or skin colored for 1 or 2 seconds, and then turn red again. Petechiae and purpura will stay red or purple. They won't blanch at all when pressed.
They are completely flat. Because they occur under the skin, you won't be able to feel any bump.
Maybe you need to discuss getting evaluated further by your doctor.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I do understand this bothers you deeply. May I ask if you also had your blood coagulation levels checked eg  prothrombin time, aPTT and fibrinogen levels? Also, were they able to do a duplex scan of the lower extremities just to assess the patency of your blood vessels?

Pain in the lower extremities especially when aggravated by walking certain distances may suggest a vascular problem. Intermittent claudication may be a condition to consider here. Intermittent claudication presents with leg pain especially in the presence of disrupted blood supply in the extremities. Maybe you can discuss this with your physician.

Any varicosities in the lower extremities?

Any discoloration noted on the toes?
Thanks for the replies.

I have had no other tests carried out but i am returning to my doctor this Friday to discuss it further. He had prescribed me to use Selsun solution (incase it was fungal related) but that didnt work, and it doesnt really seem to be a rash - it looks more like blood under the skin.

They dots are all very seperate rather than having merged together but there are still a large number of them.

I will take your suggestions with me when i go to my GP and update as to what he has to say.

Many thanks again.

did you get any result after that
did you get your test done please let us know what happen my wife has a same problem like your