Red/dry/flaky spots around nose and mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have red, dry, flaky spots in the creases of my nose and around my mouth/chin.  Sometimes, the dry spots get really chapped and itchy.  The flakes start to turn brown after a few days.  My pores on my chin are very clogged, causing lots of white heads to form.  My forehead is very oily, but the rest of my face is dry.  I am starting to get wrinkles under my eyes because of the dryness and is making me insecure. I am only 27 years old.  What is going on with my skin and what can I do about it?

Thanks!
D
Avatar dr f tn
Hi.

As for these dry and flaky spots over the areas involving the nose and around the mouth, this may be a case of perioral dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis. Perioral dermatitis is usually caused by skin reaction to frequent application of lotions and creams on this area of the face. On the other hand, a seborrheic dermatitis may be secondary to stress and other external factors like the weather.

Has this been present for quite sometime?

Are the affected areas itchy?

Are you eating well? No particular diet?
Avatar n tn
I have had this problem for about 2 years.  I use to have anxiety problems, so this is when my skin problems started to arise.  I still have anxiety at times, but it's nothing like it use to be.  It's very rare for my anxiety to act up anymore.

The areas get itcy when they are really red and chapped.  I use hydro-cortizone on a daily basis to moisturize it.  

I am not on a diet, at all.  I take my vitamins and try to eat vegies daily, but thats it.  I am pregnant right now so I take my prenatal vitamins daily.  

Is there a certain product I should be using? Should I diet?
Avatar n tn
I have the same problem!  Only difference..I'm not pregnant.  I heard about milk of magnesia applied to face, letting it dry, then washing it off, to help with this problem.  It worked great for about a week! Was gone after 1st application, but a week later...the redness and dry skin are coming back!  Maybe I shouldn't have used it everyday when the condition was gone?..i don't know.  I am at a loss of what to try also.  Steroid cremes have worked for me in the past but I don't want to keep using them!  
Avatar dr f tn

At this point try to avoid putting anything on your face. Creams, steroids and milk of magnesia may actually make it worse. Wash your face with just warm water while the symptoms are present.  Have this evaluated further by your doctor for proper management.  Perioral dermatitis usually responds well to antibiotic treatment. The cause is unknown but it has also a tendency to recur at a later time. Direct clinical examination is important.

Take care and keep us posted.
Does anyone have a problem with this just in cooler weather?  During the summer i was fine but last winter and beginning about Dec 1 the red spots started up again.  Any ideas?
Yes the similar type skin condition , while maybe it has changed a it
I'll shower ,wash my face ,get dried off and by then these areas of my face are pink to red in color three wrinkles brown my eye brows , creases of my noses and a path down from nose to just about the crease of my mouth. As I'm about to put on make up the same areas have dried skin on them and are high lighted with the foundation . So I will  scratch the dry skin off  leaving it red and it almost breakers the skin.
What can i use to combate this skin problem? Oh and my whole chin.