Red flaky skin on face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red flaky skin on face

I'm not sure what is causing this as i haven't been to a dermatologist to have them look at it.
but in the past 2-3 years or so i will get red patches on my face and the skin seems to be white and flaky in those areas.  i also get dandruff sometimes and use Neutrogena T/Gel to help control it.  however, the flaky, red skin on my face seems to come and go.  i have been using a facial scrub that my wife suggested and although it does seem to help if i miss a day it comes right back.  it is most concentrated on either side of my nose (not just ON the sides of my nose but on the cheeks near my nose as well) and in between my eyes and in that immediate area of my forehead.  could you please tell me what might be causing this and what i can do if anything to remedy this situation.

thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This sounds like seborrheic dermatitis .Seborrheic dermatitis is associated with a fungal infection. This may present as white or yellowish greasy flakes or scales on the scalp, on the face and even on the chest. Using selenium sulfide shampoos over the area and scrubbing the shampoo vigorously over the areas may help. For more severe forms topical corticosteroids have been used after washing the area with medicated shampoos. Seborrheic dermatitis may be associated with stress and even changes in weather. Thus, expect this to persist or recur.
so is this something i can expect to live with from now on then?
in other words, there's nothing i can do to "cure" it and make it go away indefinitely?
there are times when it gets very itchy and red and then other times when it just flakes and causes more of an cosmetic nusance.

thanks for all your information.
I've suffered from Seborrheic Dermatitis for many years without knowing what I actually had. As Doctors, in my experience, regularly misdiagnosed it as food intolerances, allergies and stress related conditions and even latterly as Acne Rosacea, which it looks nothing like!!

I’ve found that the best way to keep it under control is regular daily facial routine, coupled with the daily use of ‘Nizoral’ cream. I’ve only found this available from online US pharmacies, it isn’t expensive and it works very very well.

For the daily facial routine, I've found the best and most gentle is the non abrasive 'Facial Cleaning Cream' by 'Dr Hauschka':

http://www.drhauschka.co.uk/productinfo.php?product=16

- followed by 'Rose Day Cream Light' also by 'Dr Hauschka':

http://www.drhauschka.co.uk/productinfo.php?product=203

Both these creams are expensive, but they're worth it. They're gentle and won’t aggravate the skin.

Hope this helps.

My husband gets red flacky skin around his nose and beard. What would cause that, and is there anything I can get to stop it. Thanks