Red flushing/rash, hot to the touch, painful like sunburn...what is it?...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red flushing/rash, hot to the touch, painful like sunburn...what is it?

I get this rash or flushing on certain areas of my body, including the palms of my hands, my cheeks, ears, nose, upper eyelids (which really hurts), and sometimes a patch on both arms, just above the elbows.  The skin becomes very red, hot to the touch, and hurts like a sunburn or scalding, sometimes the pain is severe. This happens both spontaneously, and with heat triggers such as washing my hands in warm water or being near a heat source like a stove.  The rash can last minutes, or much longer, about up to 2 hours.  When my hands are affected, it is difficult to perform tasks due to the pain.  Does anyone know what this is and how to treat or prevent it?
Localized heat urticaria is one of the rarest of the physical urticarias, characterized by well-defined urticarial lesions sharply confined to sites of heat exposure.
Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
Volume 41, Issue 2, Supplement, August 1999, Pages 354-356

Rare it is but you must get invetigated to rule out connective tissue disorders like lupus since the rash in your case occurs elsewhere too.
Do consult your doc.