Red hot cheeks

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red hot cheeks

Hi, i'm a 19 year old white male, and I have slightly red cheeks most of time. but when I get up and do something they get hot and very red and take a while to cool back down. I always have to make sure that im in a cool or cold room otherwise I flush red instantly, again localized to my cheeks. Also when i eat hot meals i go red in the cheeks.......i've suffered for years and would like to know if there's anything i can do about it? I'm quite sure it's not Rosacea. I also have scalp psoriasis, not sure if theres a link.

Thanks, Shaun
Tags: red, hot, cheeks
Hi Shaun,

Some people are more prone to flushing of the skin than others. It all has to do with circulation/blood flow to the face and does not necessarily signal a health issue. Yes, spicy/hot foods, alcohol and warm temperatures can trigger flushing, as can a sensitive nervous system (such as anxiety and embarrassment) and these are all common.
But just to be safe, you might want to ask a doctor to run a thyroid test to make sure there are no complications there.

All the best,
Brittany
I had that same exact problem.  For another reason, I had to go on a gluten free diet, and within a week or so, I realized I don't get red cheeks anymore.  Go figure.  I don't know if it's your problem, but it's something for you to try.  Gluten is found in wheat, barley, rye and oats.  You can look it up on the internet if you'd like to give it a try.  If it doesn't help, at least you know that's not what's causing the problem.  Hope this helps.
ok, thanks a lot
also, should i consider endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy ETS? It seriously affects my social life and self esteem
If it were me, I wouldn't want a surgeon playing around with my nerves.  You know, everyone has something that they don't like about themselves - usually many things they don't like about themselves.  I know there are people out there that just have to point out everyone's flaws.  Let them (because you can't stop them from doing it anyway)!  Always have a sense of humor about these things.  When you're out socializing, of course people are going to notice, but once they start talking to you, they aren't constantly thinking about your cheeks....you might be constantly thinking about them, but they aren't.  If you get quiet and back away from everyone, they'll notice you backing away and thinking  "what's wrong with him?"  If you don't make a big deal about your cheeks, other people won't make a big deal about your cheeks.  Give them time to get past it and they will.  How many times have you looked at people and thought "boy, I'm glad I don't have that "defect"'.  Guess what?  We're all sizing each other up all the time and thinking "Thank God I don't have that!" or "she's weird" or "he's obnoxious".  Such is life!  Just continue on with your day and make the most of it.  I hope this helps.  
It can be due to blushing skin. Blushing is a sudden and involuntary reddening of the face, neck and ears.You can overcome it by psychological counseling with a psychologist/psychiatrist and boosting up your confidence levels.The treatment of severe blushing includes anti anxiety medicines and beta blockers.Severe cases may need endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy(ETS).Please discuss about this possibility with your doctor. Also the possibilities of rosacea and SLE need to be ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.