Red itchy rash in perianal area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red itchy rash in perianal area

For the past two months I began developing this weird skin irritation around the anus which continued to get worse and spread towards my genital area, mostly the lower part of my exterior vaginal lips, where the skin comes in contact with underwear) . I have red spots, hardened skin around the affected area and everything itches and is very tender to the touch, what bothers me most is that there is often some kind of 'crawling' feeling and even stinging(like maybe coarse hair is touching the affected area when in fact there isn't any hair there). I definitely have no problems going to the bathroom (no pain or discomfort) although there is often fresh red blood when I wipe. First I tried a hemorrhoid cream which did nothing except temporarily calm down the itch, then I tried an A&D ointment which definitely helps with the discomfort but does nothing to make it go away. I am pretty sure I don't have an internal vaginal yeast infection since I have those quite often and this is definitely not it. After spending a couple of hours looking at the forum I tried a simple solution: NEOSPORIN and I can't say that it has worked.After looking at some photographs online it seems that visually what I have resembles 'Jock Rash' but I can't figure if one can get it in this specific area. I will not be able to see doctor until next Monday (if I even get an appointment then) and the discomfort has gotten to the point where I can't walk if I don't apply the A&D ointment. Would it be better to try a Cortisone and Jock-Itch medication combination or maybe something else?
I am very grateful to anyone who might give me any advice on this since just looking at the forums has calmed me down and pointed me in the right direction. I do realize that seeing a doctor is the best solution but I really am in no position to do that until next Monday or later.

Thank you!
Best Regards.
Such kind of rash can be due to contact dermatitis, fungal infection or intertrigo. Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers