Dermatology Expert Forum
Red lines on face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red lines on face

My skin has always been sensitive, but as I am 37 years old and getting older, my skin is becoming more sensitive, fragile, and thin.  Lately, I have had some deep itches on my face and I have scratched them with my finger nail or held my fingernail on the itches for a few seconds to relieve the itch as it itches so bad, and after I am done holding my fingernail on the itches or scratching them with my fingernail, it has left little red lines on my face.  I think they are broken blood vessels.  They still itch and I try not to scratch them.  When other parts of my face itch, I try to rub it with my finger, not my nail.  Is this common and what is it caused by?  Is there a problem under my skin that comes out in my skin?  Is there any way to prevent it from happening and is there a way to get rid of the little red lines with a creme?  If the way to get rid of them is a laser (I saw something on this website about a laser)is it just a little laser poke to get rid of them or is it a laser surgery?  If it is  a laser surgery, is it an involved laser surgery or is it an office procedure?  Thank you very much for your help.
From what you write, I'm not sure whether the red lines are anything more than scratch marks, so I wouldn't rush off for laser, because these marks fade themselves if you leave them alone.  As to why you're so itchy, I'm really not clear--eczema can cause itch, but there would be a scaly rash, and there doesn't seem to be.  I advise you to get an over-the-counter anti-itch lotion like Sarna, use it whenever it itches, and see a doctor for proper diagnosis.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you for your help!
I too have had sensitive skin my entire life. For the past 20 years or so I've had tiny veins on my left cheek about the surface size of a quarter...the past few years now they have started to show up on my right cheek too in a very few places.  Please give me some information about the laser treatment I understand gets rid of these tiny veins.   I don't smoke and seldom drink.   I am 56.  What are they, how are they caused, and how does the laser treatment work?  Thank you in advance.