Dermatology Expert Forum
Red lines on face
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Red lines on face

My skin has always been sensitive, but as I am 37 years old and getting older, my skin is becoming more sensitive, fragile, and thin.  Lately, I have had some deep itches on my face and I have scratched them with my finger nail or held my fingernail on the itches for a few seconds to relieve the itch as it itches so bad, and after I am done holding my fingernail on the itches or scratching them with my fingernail, it has left little red lines on my face.  I think they are broken blood vessels.  They still itch and I try not to scratch them.  When other parts of my face itch, I try to rub it with my finger, not my nail.  Is this common and what is it caused by?  Is there a problem under my skin that comes out in my skin?  Is there any way to prevent it from happening and is there a way to get rid of the little red lines with a creme?  If the way to get rid of them is a laser (I saw something on this website about a laser)is it just a little laser poke to get rid of them or is it a laser surgery?  If it is  a laser surgery, is it an involved laser surgery or is it an office procedure?  Thank you very much for your help.
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
From what you write, I'm not sure whether the red lines are anything more than scratch marks, so I wouldn't rush off for laser, because these marks fade themselves if you leave them alone.  As to why you're so itchy, I'm really not clear--eczema can cause itch, but there would be a scaly rash, and there doesn't seem to be.  I advise you to get an over-the-counter anti-itch lotion like Sarna, use it whenever it itches, and see a doctor for proper diagnosis.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
3 Comments
Blank
Thank you for your help!
Blank
I too have had sensitive skin my entire life. For the past 20 years or so I've had tiny veins on my left cheek about the surface size of a quarter...the past few years now they have started to show up on my right cheek too in a very few places.  Please give me some information about the laser treatment I understand gets rid of these tiny veins.   I don't smoke and seldom drink.   I am 56.  What are they, how are they caused, and how does the laser treatment work?  Thank you in advance.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker