Red lips and red area above upper lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red lips and red area above upper lip

How or why do my lips and the area above my upper lip stay red. In the past I have gone to see a PA-C about why my lips are red. She told me I had a yeast infection on my mouth and the area around it. At that time I did have open cracks in the corners of my mouth and my lips were chapped. She gave me a prescription for a medication(pill to take) and a prescription for a cream to put on my lips 3 times a day.. I had to go to her 3 times for the same thing; yeast infection. Right now my lips are just reddish in color and a little above my upper lip.. So what do I have? Is it another yeast infection or something else.. And what can i do for it..

thank you
Imforgven

Since when are you having the symptoms? What is your age? Do you smoke?

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If you have cracks at the corner of your mouth it indicates B2 deficiency in this case you need to take B2 supplements.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.