Red marks around mouth?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red marks around mouth?

Every few months at times when I get stressed, I notice red marks that appear around my mouth.  They do not look like sores, only red spots on the skin about 1/2 inch or less from the lips.  They are about less than 1/2 the size of a dime in diameter.  They are usually there for a few hours and then disappear only to reappear in a different spot later.  They feel slightly itchy and hot.  They will appear in different areas around the mouth and the episode lasts for about 3 days.  I've been blood tested for herpes and received a negative result.  Also, sometimes there is redness under my bottom lip that also goes away after a few hours.  I have pointed it out to friends and they don't think it looks like cold sores.  Any idea of what it could be?  I always freak out and think whether I could have caught something recently.  Last week I drank from a dirty cup at a party and wonder if that could have caused the rash, but I have also been very stressed lately by events in my life.  
The exact same thing is happening to me!  I can't find any explanation. I was wondering if you ever got an answer to this.
These red marks can be due to dermatitis or perioral dermatitis. Perioral dermatitis like acne is a chronic papulopustular and eczematous facial dermatitis. It mostly effects women and appear around the nose, mouth and eyes. Treatment consists of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. A mild soap or soap substitute, such as Dove or Cetaphil should be used for washing. Scrubbing should be avoided.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.