Red patch on scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red patch on scrotum

3868298?1231822427

I am a 22 year old male, and I have for the last year had a remarkably itchy scrotum.  At times my scrotum is completely dry, and I use vaseline and try to say hydrated as much as possible.  What has concerned me is that over the last year, every few months I will have a small red patch appear.  They feel raw to the touch, and are sensitive, and always appear on my scrotum but no where else.  There does not seem to be consistency with where they appear and have come on both sides of my scrotum, but for whatever reason, only appear one at a time, and completely out of the blue, but usually are premeditated by intense itching.  But, my scrotum is constantly itchy just to the fact that it seems to be always dry.  They usually scab with a clearish scab in a day or so, and then are gone within a couple of days after appearing.  There is no discharge whatsoever.  Just a raw skin patch here and there.  I do not get these spots anywhere else, and although I guess it could be an STD, but my sexual history is rather unremarkable, and I have always used condoms every time.  I have attached a picture of the red patch, and would love some counsel.  My insurance has just expired along with my job, but I will certainly go for professional advice should it be recommended.  Thank you so much for the help. I have attached a picture.  The raw skin in question is on the left side, and this time happened to pop up over a "bump" that I have naturally on my scrotum (but they don't always appear there).  

I cannot confirm anything without examination but it sounds like eczema.It is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).
Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.Other possibilities like lichen sclerosis,contact dermatitis or fungal infections have to be ruled out.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

Thank you so much for the insight.  I've had a sneaking suspicion that this was some type of allergic reaction, but obviously you never know.  I will certainly get it checked out once I get a new job, and insurance to go with.  I spent hours searching the 'net for anything from herpes to eczema, but never found a picture that was anything the symptoms that I have.  The piece of mind is invaluable, and I appreciate it greatly.
how many times is several times, and how many a day.