Dermatology Expert Forum
Red patches on penis head and other parts of body

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I have had red patches of skin on the head of my penis. It does not blister, but you can see the patches of a different shade of red. I do have regular sex with my girlfriend about 4 days a week, at least 2 times a day. I do use a condom 95% of the time, but many times after sex my penis shaft itches and the head of my penis is inflammed (does not hurt or itch), and the red patch becomes more visible. As a result, I end up itching my penis shaft causing it to last longer.

When I get out of the shower, the head of the penis wrinkles, like the tips of your fingers when you leave them in water a long time and sometimes stays wrinkled for a while. It does not itch (the head). I put desitin on it one time, and cortizone 10 the next day (wonder if this could cause reaction). Also, I have patches itchy skin on the insides of my elbows, corners of my eyes, shoulders & chest, scalp, and behind my ears. They form in light red or pink patches, and go away with cortizone, but come right back. The itchiness around my eyes is the most irritating. They too wrinkle around the skin of the eyelid, corners of the eye, and under the eye on the eyelash line.

My penis worries me the most, because I am hoping it is not an STD. Because I have been having similiar types of skin rashes on other parts of my body, I wonder it it is some sort of skin condition that is effecting my penis too. It has never blistered, but the red patches, and wrinkles make me wonder if it is herpes/STD???. PLEASE HELP ME STOP WORRYING...IT MAKES IT WORSE IT SEEMS! I don't have health insurance, so I cannot afford the doctor right now.

Thank you,

Cabell
The rash you describe sounds like irritation from friction.  Having sex 8 times a week could contribute to this.  Occasional use of 1% hydrocortisone or just plain moisture lotion should be all you need to do.  The rash in other places, whatever it is, is almost certainly unrelated--possibly you have a touch of eczema.  You don't need to worry that the penis rash is going though your body.

I do think you shoud invest in a doctor's visit, though, to be sure and to get prescription-strngth treatment if you need it.  Perhaps you can think of a doctor's visit as discretionary spending for peace of mind.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Dr. Rockoff,

After I wrote you, I went and got tested for STD's.  I found out I tested positive for Herpes Type 1.  Since I found out on Tuesday, I have been doing a lot of research, and some of it seems confusing & vague.

The one thing that is confusing to me is the only symtom I have had, is the itchy penis.  I have never had blisters...more like dry patches of skin as I described before.

The clinic I went to did not give me advice or information...they just gave me my test results and said have a nice day.  Knowing that my test came back positive, it has totally changed my perspective on life.

Where do I go from here?  Also, of the 3 herpes medications, which one do you prefer to prescribe for herpes type 1?  While I know it is not the end of the world, it has definately rocked my world and I need some sound advice.  Thank you.

Cabell
I read silverbeach's string of messages beginning on 7/11/03, and what he describes sounds exactly like what I have.

Also, what is the difference in a culture test and blood test for herpes.  Which is most effective?
One more thing...the reason I am confused, is the red patches of skin that are on my penis, look the same as the patches of skin I have on the inside of the elbow, and also on the outside corners of my eyes.

When it is hot, it seems like they come out even more.  Could all this be linked, or should I seek a second opinion?

The reason I ask is because, like I said before, I have never had blisters or clusters of blisters on my penis, or anywhere else on my body.  I have never had a burning sensation when I urinate...never felt like I had a fever since the red patches have occured...never had blisters...like I said, the only thing I have had are the red patches on my penis head, and itchiness on my shaft.  I have looked at pictures on the internet, and my penis has not looked anything like the pictures I saw for herpes type 1.

My situation has not ended yet.(i added a recent post to Dr Rockoff)  However, their are marked differences.  for instance I do have tingling and my penis rash has burned and has been somewhat painfull although not always.
The rash comes and goes for a single day or several days.  I also have burning in my urethra.  all std tests were negative (twice)
My blood tests for HSV I were quite high at 29 one month after onset, then went to 20 after 4 months and i am waiting on new results.  however in my reading this does not prove anything!!
Another point is that HSV can present itself atypically and alot of US cases of HSV are improperly diagnosed according to Great Britians version of the CDC.
For me, valtrex has done nothing just as antibiotics have done nothing.
I have also learned that stress and continuous thinking about your penis can cause same symptoms although i dont belive they would cause a swollen testicle like happens to me some mornings.  
Please remember HSV I is so common that almost 80% of people may test positive and this does not meen it is genital.
Although I am concerned my symptoms may be some atypical presentation of herpes i have adjusted to this possibility, remember we are all not perfect and it surely would not be the end of the world for any of us. I think for most of us it would be acceptable once the symptoms subside.

So in short, we have HSV 1, so do most people.  Is it genital??  Well without a culture i would think serology (Blood tests) only help a doctor determine for sure, their is no proof with the great number of HSV 1 cases out there.
Good Luck, and dont drive yourself crazy!
Dr Rockoff, I recently did update my post if you'd have a look.

A related discussion, penis redspot was started.