Red rash for months, Pityriasis or Ringworm?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi there!

I've had a red rash on my stomach, spreading up to my armpits in a V shape, and just under my pectorals since Christmas. I just assumed it was dry skin / hot showers.

Saw my GP about 40 days ago, I also had athletes foot and a fungal nail infection (years of rugby have left me prone) so He assumed it was ringworm. So I was prescribed 1x250mg Terabinafine tablet a day. Been taking them, Athletes foot has cleared up a treat, nail infection will take longer, but he said the rash should clear up quickly, it hasn't, it's still there. So I went back about a week ago, and another doctor told me it looked like Pityriasis Rosea, he prescribed me some Eumovate cream. (which to my understanding steroid creams only help alleviate itching, this doesn't itch)

I haven't actually used it yet because it says it can make Ringworm worse, so I'm kind of torn.

The rash is always worse when I have a hot shower, it was at it's worst when I have a hot shower then have a cold blast at the end. It's always really red after a work out at the gym too.

The rash itself like I said, starts around my belly button and extends up to my nipple line, but doesn't affect my actual pectoral area, just the side of it, it's not on my shoulders, face, legs, back etc they are only 1cm to 1.5cm at the very most, and are oval to circular in shape, some are slightly raised, some are flat and they're just redder than normal skin tone in colour... I can post a picture if it's needed.

I do suffer from dry skin occasionally.

Can anyone help me finding out what this stupid rash is, or do I need to see a specialist?
I do believe this is PR from the features and should respond to the medication.
Best wishes.
Your symptoms are suggestive of pityriasis rosea. Pityriasis rosea is a common human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash may be accompanied by low-grade headache, fever, nausea and fatigue and itching. Topical and oral steroids are needed. Water, sweat, and soap may cause irritation and should be avoided in the disease. Topical zinc oxide and calamine lotion are useful for pruritus.

Initially, a primary plaque, called a herald patch, is seen. Then it is followed by a distinctive, generalized rash 1-2 weeks later. The rash lasts approximately 2-6 weeks and is found in a Christmas tree pattern over the trunk and abdomen.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.