Red rash on neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red rash on neck

I have had a red rash on my neck for at least 6months now. It hasn't really bothered me too much, as I tend to wear my hair down and it's not very visible and also doesn't really itch very much, hence I tend to forget about it! However, it has recently started to irritate me as it does not appear to be going away and is more visible if I tie my hair up. There is also an additional red patch at the base of my hairline at the back that I have recently noticed.

I had eczema as a child, and have tried using hydrocortisone creams, which help with the dryness, but still haven't cleared it up!

What do you adivse?

Do you have dandruff?

This could be an allergic reaction to some unknown substance or dermatitis or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products use a medicated sunscreen whenever you go out.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Discuss with your doctor whether you need a course of oral steroids or steroid creams for local application.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.

I have a similar problem, red splotchy patches at the hairline base of my neck. I spoke to my doctor and he advised me that they are common and not to worry, but had me try oral steroids just for kicks. They do not really bother me health wise, but i am a man with thinning hair so I tend to keep it very short, which totally exposes this problem (coworkers have commented on its appearance.) I cut all of my younger brothers hair and have noticed the same thing on them in the same location. I enjoy having short hair, but am very self concious about this. Any advice would be great.