Red rash surrounding anus area
by sorebutt, Oct 15, 2001
I have a red rash around the anus area, extending about 1 inch toward the back and 2 1/2 inches towards the front and is oval shaped. Skin has peeled and now the color is ochre red (was bright red a few days ago) with a shiny, wet look to it.

It was quite sore when it started but now just itches in spells and is often accompanied by a "crawling" sensation. The itch is mostly focused in the anal area and extends a little bit inside the anus.

The last couple of days, I've applied a 1% Hydrocortisone cream 3 times a day, which I think has stopped it from getting worse. But it doesn't seem to be getting better either!

What could it be (I wonder if it is an infection or fungus of some sort)? What can be done?

P.D. I'm to embarassed to go to my primary care Dr. and have her look at it, nor can I bring myself up to ask my wife to take a photo of my ***.
by Alan Rockoff, MDBlank, Oct 16, 2001
Red rashes around the anus are unlikely to be fungus (which is usually brownish and occurs up front, in the inner thighs.)  More likely are irritation, psoriasis, or possibly yeast.  You'll save yourself some trouble and anxiety if you overcome your reluctance and get yourself looked at.  Meantime, try applying both clotrimazole 15 (over-the-counter, anti-yeast) and 1% hydrocortisone, twice-daily each.  That plus moisturizing should help at least somehwat while you're waiting to be seen.


Dr. Rockoff
Related Discussions
Member Comments (1)
by rusty1974, Jun 22, 2008
A related discussion, Please help was started.