Dermatology Expert Forum
Red rashes around lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red rashes around lips
Hi, I'm a 23 y'old male. I got this problem out of nowhere about a few weeks ago. The area around my lips is kind of red (like a clown trying to paint the area around his mouth, like the previous post), and a little swollen, and my lips became very dry, when i tried to open my mouth, my lips would get cracked and it hurts. I felt a light burning feeling on my lips. Since then I've been searching online for some solution. And one solution that I found is to apply the 1% hydrocortisone gel to the rashes, and around my lips. So that's what I did. And it works fine. My lips are not that dry and cracked anymore. IT's not swollen, and it reduces the redness. But that is if i keep applying the gel at least twice a day. Once I forget to apply it. The it will get a little red, dry and swollen. Not as bad as the first time i got this problem. But I get very self-conscious about this condition. Is there any way to treat this. So it won't come back. I hope This time it will work. Thanks Doctor,

Chris
It sounds as though you have eczema of the lips, which you are treating properly.  There is an outside chance that you are allergic to something that's coming into contact with your lips, though this is rare.  If you're using a colored toothpaste, I advise you to switch to a white one.  If the condition keeps coming back, you might want to see a dermatologist about a different cream or perhaps allergy testing.  Meantime, you can use the 1% hydrocortisone with no concerns whenever you need it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, Rashes + high body temperature was started.