Red skin on neck and upper chest
I have red skin on both sides of my neck and my skin below my throat in a "V" shape. It doesn't itch. If I mash the redness below my throat with my finger and remove it there is a breif white spot that turns back red. The rednees on both sides of my neck varies in darkness due to shaving

The neck rash could be due to several causes. You would need to see a skin specialist to rule out sunburn, heat rash or miliaria, eczema, sweat dermatitis, heat rash, acne, folliculitis, impetigo, even lupus, etc.

You could take some oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications like loratadine or cetrizine and see if it helps with your symptoms. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions to help soothe the itching.

What other symptoms are you having? Since when have you noticed the leions?

Are you allergic to any specific substances?

Let us know about how you are doing and post us about what your doctor advises.

Post us if you need any further information.

Regards.
I also have redness on my neck and upper chest. This has been going on for 3 years now and does not seem related to sunburn "although it looks like one" and it doesn't go away in the winter. Recently it has started itching. I have treated it topically by wearing sunscreen and using Aloe and have treated it with Tea Tree Oil with no results such as a mere sunburn would have.
I take medications for high blood pressure and high cholesterol as well as Ibuprofen and Flexeril for chronic tension headaches. But my Dr claims that none of these would cause a reaction like this.
I too have a red V shaped spot on my upper chest, and a red line going from my left jaw bone to my chin and then to my right jaw bone. It is not a rash and it looks a lot like the discolouration i had on my face after giving birth to my 2 kids , but it was of a browner colour. When i asked the nurse about it, she said it was the trauma of the birth that caused it.  I notice that when i get very upset or when i have a hot flash , it gets even redder. Also when my bood preasure goes up.  Personally , i think that it is caused by a nervous system, but i could be wrong, i do wish i could find out thoough.
I have petechiae on my feet, ankles and lower shins.  I also have chronic redness, resembling a sunburn, on my chest, and bilateral redness on my neck, below my jaw hinge, as well as a semi-raised, blotchy, rash on the back of my neck, at the base of hairline, that comes and goes. After I shower, I have red patches on the backside of my arms. I began suffering from cystic acne in my thirties and still  do now, ten years later.  My doctor has tested me for ANA and it was normal as was my se-rate.  I was dx with fibromyalgia about nine years ago, but I'm unsure if my skin problems are part of my syndrome, or if there is some other problem.
I also have this redness on my chest in a V shape and up both sides of my neck.  I have tried the allergy medicine, increased estrogen via bith control pill and neither of those suggested treatments made any difference.  It is becoming more predominate and people are noticing.  I have been to 3 doctors and I have still have no answers.  It would be nice to get an answer.  It is the middle of Winter and it is definitely not a sunburn like two of the doctors suggested????Could use some direction?
Mariann,
I am a middle-aged man and have had the exact same thing as several of the others have described above.  Nothing seems to permanently get rid of the redness and although it doesn't itch- and short of just being annoying, has not been an issue.  I am just wondering what underlying condition this is a symptom of that could likely big a bigger problem down the road.  Also others notice the rash, and immediately assume it is lupus.  I remember however that I used to use tanning booths/beds.  I really do not remember having this rash before I started tanning years ago.  I believe just treating this topically with a cortisone cream and avoiding UV exposure will help to lessen the redness.  Any product used on the hair, cologne, clothes detergent- could all possibly further aggravate this.  A dermatologist is likely the best bet- at least there is some comfort in knowing this is not a unique situation.  Please post further if you find a better solution!
I also have this reddening started on one side of neck and throat ending just under windpipe area. Now other side is reddening as well.
Also have high blood pressure and take cholesterol pills. along with prednisone and cellcept.

Im a kidney transplant recipient and wonder if this could be related to the tubes I had in my neck pre transplant for dialysis but doesn't explain both sides?
I have a similar rash but it is on my  upper back it is purplish in color I have had it for 2 years and it doesn't go away.
You may have Poikiloderma of Civatte. Check out http://www.dermatopedia.com/poikiloderma-of-civatte/.

All the best.
WELL I'M A LADY WITH A RED UPPER CHEST! IT'S IMBARRASING
I have the same redness on my neck and chest that others have been describing. Checking images online, it does resemble poikiloderma of civatte. The other clue I just found is a Phototoxic Drug Reaction from being in the sun while on medication. There are lists of offending medications on line and mine appears to have been Levaquin. I am now looking for magic creams etc to address. A few I have seen online include:Topical niacinamide, Bellis Perennis (Daisy) Flower Extract, Alpha-Arbutin and organic rosehip oil. There are also mentions to avoid Hydroquinone. Treatments mentioned include:Laser treatments(IPL: intense pulsed light, PDL: Pulsed Dye Laser) andBBL - broadband light. Has anyone tried and had luck with any of these?
Iam also afflicted with the exact same thing, does anyone have any new info?,i also went to a tanning salon but only three times around the time it started to appear.
I tried pulsed light laser - and it seemed to help for a little while but the redness came back. So, I spent all that money for nothing. I've also noticed that it's sometimes redder than other times so it must be tied to allergies? I'm going to try Cetirizine next and see if that helps.

I read every post and I can relate to all things mentioned about the mysterious "vee" shaped sunburn looking skin disorder.  This has been a perplexing problem for four years now myself, and I have been to see numerous doctors ranging from dermatologists to rheumatologists to endocrinologists to neurologists and every single one of them shrugged their shoulders at me and said - we just don't know what causes these things and therefore don't know what will cure it, because we just don't know what "it" is!
Very frustrating to say the least.  But at the very least, I see it this way, at least it is not affecting my quality of life and for that I am thankful.
But of course we would all still like to have an answer.
I've been using a new skin cleanser and lotion made by Sebamed for sensitive skin.  It has decreased the redness on my neck and chest by several shades in just about one month.  I'm hoping that over time the whole area will match the rest of my skin with continued use.
I also do but it's not a rash
It's like a tint
Anyone figure out how to get rid of it
What is the treatment of poikiloderma of Civatte?
There is no specific medical treatment for this condition. The patient should be educated about avoiding sun exposure and the correct use of sunscreens. The results of treatment may be disappointing in many cases.
Sun protection including daily broad spectrum SPF 50+ sunscreen
Avoid all perfumes on or near the affected area, including those in soap
Hydroquinone-containing preparations may help fade the pigmentation
Exfoliants including long term use of alpha hydroxy-acids and/or tretinoin
Pulsed dye laser (PDL) and intense pulsed light (IPL) treatments seem the best way to reduce the telangiectasia and pigmentation
Goodbyegirl can you tell me the names of the products you bought from Sebamed please. I'd like to try :-)
My great grandfather my grandfather on my dad's side my dad and I all have the exact same thing when we are angry the patch almost seems to glow of our heart rate increases slightly it will brighten. I have noticed that it only itches or bothers me when it gets brighter it itches slightly my body will feel as if I am on fire. These things may not be related but it is weird that it only happens at those points. However great grandfather grandfather dad and I all have high blood pressure. I personally have had the patch on my lower neck and chest since I was 8 I am now 23 it is a little concerning to have had it this long and just noticing different reactions it has to different things I have tried eczema creams because I have eczema and we thought it was that but nope. Anyone if you find more out let us know please so we can stop thinking about our bright red chests lol
I've had exactly that same v shaped redness on my chest  for 5 years now. I think it's definitely related to medication for high blood pressure, rather than the high blood pressure itself. I had high blood pressure for several years, without use of any medication and didn't have the redness, then as soon as I started taking Candesartan it became red and blanched when pressed. My GP just dismisses me when I suggest it's yet another side effect of the blood pressure medication. I've started wearing high neck tops now because it's so noticeable and I feel self conscious about it. I've recently started putting aloe vera gel on it and it takes most of the redness away quickly. However, the effect doesn't last long. I'm going to persevere though as it may produce better results when applied long term.
I don't think it's your blood pressure meds as I dont take any form of medicine and still have the rash spf50 does seem to help