DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Red skin on neck and upper chest
by Fish692, Aug 05, 2008
I have red skin on both sides of my neck and my skin below my throat in a "V" shape. It doesn't itch. If I mash the redness below my throat with my finger and remove it there is a breif white spot that turns back red. The rednees on both sides of my neck varies in darkness due to shaving
Member Comments (10)
by BhumikaMD, Sep 17, 2008

The neck rash could be due to several causes. You would need to see a skin specialist to rule out sunburn, heat rash or miliaria, eczema, sweat dermatitis, heat rash, acne, folliculitis, impetigo, even lupus, etc.

You could take some oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications like loratadine or cetrizine and see if it helps with your symptoms. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions to help soothe the itching.

What other symptoms are you having? Since when have you noticed the leions?

Are you allergic to any specific substances?

Let us know about how you are doing and post us about what your doctor advises.

Post us if you need any further information.

Regards.
by phxsandwitch, Jan 13, 2010
I also have redness on my neck and upper chest. This has been going on for 3 years now and does not seem related to sunburn "although it looks like one" and it doesn't go away in the winter. Recently it has started itching. I have treated it topically by wearing sunscreen and using Aloe and have treated it with Tea Tree Oil with no results such as a mere sunburn would have.
I take medications for high blood pressure and high cholesterol as well as Ibuprofen and Flexeril for chronic tension headaches. But my Dr claims that none of these would cause a reaction like this.
by stellestelle52, Jun 16, 2012
I too have a red V shaped spot on my upper chest, and a red line going from my left jaw bone to my chin and then to my right jaw bone. It is not a rash and it looks a lot like the discolouration i had on my face after giving birth to my 2 kids , but it was of a browner colour. When i asked the nurse about it, she said it was the trauma of the birth that caused it.  I notice that when i get very upset or when i have a hot flash , it gets even redder. Also when my bood preasure goes up.  Personally , i think that it is caused by a nervous system, but i could be wrong, i do wish i could find out thoough.
by brenskel, Oct 30, 2012
I have petechiae on my feet, ankles and lower shins.  I also have chronic redness, resembling a sunburn, on my chest, and bilateral redness on my neck, below my jaw hinge, as well as a semi-raised, blotchy, rash on the back of my neck, at the base of hairline, that comes and goes. After I shower, I have red patches on the backside of my arms. I began suffering from cystic acne in my thirties and still  do now, ten years later.  My doctor has tested me for ANA and it was normal as was my se-rate.  I was dx with fibromyalgia about nine years ago, but I'm unsure if my skin problems are part of my syndrome, or if there is some other problem.
by Mariann97128, Mar 05, 2013
I also have this redness on my chest in a V shape and up both sides of my neck.  I have tried the allergy medicine, increased estrogen via bith control pill and neither of those suggested treatments made any difference.  It is becoming more predominate and people are noticing.  I have been to 3 doctors and I have still have no answers.  It would be nice to get an answer.  It is the middle of Winter and it is definitely not a sunburn like two of the doctors suggested????Could use some direction?
by ScotchIrish, Mar 08, 2013
Mariann,
I am a middle-aged man and have had the exact same thing as several of the others have described above.  Nothing seems to permanently get rid of the redness and although it doesn't itch- and short of just being annoying, has not been an issue.  I am just wondering what underlying condition this is a symptom of that could likely big a bigger problem down the road.  Also others notice the rash, and immediately assume it is lupus.  I remember however that I used to use tanning booths/beds.  I really do not remember having this rash before I started tanning years ago.  I believe just treating this topically with a cortisone cream and avoiding UV exposure will help to lessen the redness.  Any product used on the hair, cologne, clothes detergent- could all possibly further aggravate this.  A dermatologist is likely the best bet- at least there is some comfort in knowing this is not a unique situation.  Please post further if you find a better solution!
by horseflesh2000, Apr 16, 2013
I also have this reddening started on one side of neck and throat ending just under windpipe area. Now other side is reddening as well.
Also have high blood pressure and take cholesterol pills. along with prednisone and cellcept.

Im a kidney transplant recipient and wonder if this could be related to the tubes I had in my neck pre transplant for dialysis but doesn't explain both sides?
by Angellajen12, Jun 12, 2013
I have a similar rash but it is on my  upper back it is purplish in color I have had it for 2 years and it doesn't go away.
by gracie303, Dec 02, 2013
You may have Poikiloderma of Civatte. Check out http://www.dermatopedia.com/poikiloderma-of-civatte/.

All the best.