Dermatology Expert Forum
Red skin patches on legs.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red skin patches on legs.

I have two rather large patches of red skin with well defined edges, one on each leg on the upper thigh.  They begin on the back of my thighs on the lower buttocks and wrap around to the inner thighs around my groin.  But, they do not affect my genitals or my anus.  They are made up of many small round red patches which is especially noticable on the inner thighs where there are distinct round patches that get smaller and further apart than on my buttocks.  I also noticed a few small round patches on the back of my knees, but no skin patches connecting them up my leg to the larger red skin on my thighs.  The patches do not itch or hurt at all, so it took me awhile to notice them, since it appears they have been spreading for a while.  They are not flaking, oozing, crusty or anything like that.  The patches are smooth to the touch and only very slightly raised off of the skin.  To me it seems that they are only on the fleshy areas of my legs and not growing on the hairy parts of my legs, I don't know if that is significant or not.  As of yet I have not tried any skin creams or remedies.  What could this be?  I don't think it is anything life threatening, but it is a bit of a nuisance now that I know where they are I am constantly noticeing them whenever I go to the bathroom or shower.  I have been as explicit as I can think to be so hopefully you can help.  Thanks in advance, Ozzie.
There are a number of possibilities, none that I can think of very serious.

I think the most likely one is tinea, or a fungus infection.  (When it's in the groin, people refer to it as "jock itch," but it doesn't have to stay localized to the groin.)

My advice is to make an appointment with a dermatologist, and meantime, get some 1% clotrimazole cream (over-the-counter) and apply that twice daily while you're waiting to be seen.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Fungus Cause was started.
A related discussion, skin patch was started.
A related discussion, What could be the cause? was started.