Red smooth circular spot on penis shaft

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red smooth circular spot on penis shaft

I wasent really sure where to go or who to ask about this.  About 5 months ago my girl friend and i had a really rough sex session.  I could tell that it was going to leave some friction as i have been there before.  However 5 months later i still have this spot on the shaft of my penis right below the head on the side.  It looks like a burn you would get on a gym floor.  It;s smooth, never blistered, bleed, pussed, and it does not hurt or itch.  It is smooth to the touch unless i just got done having sex then it gets really red and then a few days later it peels and goes back to how it was before.  Some days it looks like its almost healed and others it looks like its day one.  I have used nothing on it excpet lotion and vasoline.  It will not go away and not i am starting to get worried.  It looks nothing like anything i have seen on the net or sounds like anythign i have seen.  How do i get rid of this thing!!!!!  

This discussion is related to Dry spot on penis.
I cannot confirm anything without examination but rash due to friction rub with clothes, dermatitis (atopic, contact, allergic),excessive sweating causing sweat dermatitis or balanitis(due to an underlying infection (bacterial and fungal as well as other organisms) or if the rash turns silvery white then psoriatic rash has to be ruled out.

You may try calamine lotion on the rash. You should also maintain hygiene and try to keep the area clean and dry, wear loose-fitting cotton clothing. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. You can also use a barrier cream with zinc oxide paste or calamine lotion or a mild steroid cream on the rash. If the symptoms persist then please get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you very much for your response!!!  I will try out the calamine lotion and see how that goes.  I have also heard to use nepsporin?  Would you suggest yes or no on that?  Also based on what i have said...in your opinion would you rule out an std?
Neosporin being a topical antibiotic is not very useful until there is any predisposing infection. Since the rash has persisted for so long without any change, so it does not look like a bacterial infection.

You can apply calamine lotion or mild steroid cream on the rash but firstly get the diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
ok thanks for the quick response!!!  What about the chances of it being an STD?  In your opinion...
well i have the same problem as u
and its been for like 5 months specially after any sexual activity
im using lodriderm and sometimes quadriderm they help me sometimes but never totally healed it burns me sometimes when it is so red and plus im using an intime soap specially for the genitals area

sometimes i get so worried and other times i dont
if u know anything about it let me know
I have the same thing only mine looks white-ish sometimes. After a long sex session it will usually get dry and peel within the next few days. No itching or pain . It's been there for months , I showed it to my doctor a while back and he just said it was nothing. It seems to me that it has to be something though. it doesnt fit the spript of any STD i've read about but it still has me worried. At times it's just a smooth shiny spot, kind of looks like scar tissue, then at times its white and then it will also peel, It's not very big, maybe the size of a BB. Any ideas?
I have the same exact symptoms it appears though mine is closer to the base of the shaft.  It has come up on two occasions, and in both scenarios my life had/has been extremely stressful at the time…Plus, I was doing a lot of traveling for business and resorted to an increased frequency of masturbation.  The first time, the symptoms eventually went away after maybe 4 to 8 weeks.  Sometimes it’s a reddish patch, and on some days it’s white.  At times it can be flaked off.  It’s a complete mental nuisance at this point.   I regularly scratch my genital area but have been doing so for as long as I can remember.  I’m 27 years old now.  Perhaps I disturbed something.   I also have what appears to be blocked pores, but once again, I have had for as long as I can remember.  I’m thinking regular lotion application and complete abstinence from sex and masturbation for a bit may remedy the situation.

Please post if any of you obtain any answers.  It’s so hot and cold.  Sometimes I don’t even think about it but other times it weighs heavily on my mind.
i have a problem. i have had it maybe more than 6 months, its on the right side down towards the bottom of my penis shaft. and its about 5-6mm big its red and sometimes white, and smooth it looks shinny and sometimes it has dry flakes of skin. iam only 18,ive been rubbing savlon cream on it, but dosent help.. it really is ugly to look at, iam not sure what it is, can someone plz help?
I have the same issue and was diagnosed with this:
Genital Porokeratosis of Mibelli
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3555386/