DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Red spot just above lip?
by Calcio, Nov 30, 2010

For about a week i've had this red spot/lesion on/above my upper lip.

I went to a medical centre and a nurse said to her it looked like a Cold Sore - and recommended me to buy some ZOVIRAX cream, which i did.

I used the cream and it has had no effect, if anything it has went bigger and more visible. It is a very visible red bump and i've never had anything like it in the place before. It doesn't hurt or itch or burn or anything and it hasn't scabbed or nothing.

It has no centre, no white or pus inside just a plain red bump that is inflamed. I've also tried freederm acne gel, sudocrem, i wash my face with a cleanser twice a day and moisturize.

Here is a picture (its not very clear and it's upside down but it might help): http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5641/dsc00032yj.jpg

Any ideas?
Member Comments (11)
by Calcio, Nov 30, 2010
It could be a boil as well?

Im not sure, can anyone shed any light on it? :(
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Dec 04, 2010
It can be a boil, infected hair follicle or a cyst. Boil is usually due to plugged sweat glands that become infected or by an ingrown hair.

Apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Take some over the counter pain reliever and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription. If the symptoms persist then you can apply topical antibiotics like Neosporin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

by Calcio, Dec 10, 2010

It's still here after 2 weeks and after 4 visits to my Doctor i think they don't even know what to do...

I was prescribed Fucidin cream to apply to the red spot above the lip, i have been using it for a week and applying it twice daily and still no sign of improvement.

It is still raised and red and very noticeable... it is embarassing to go outdoors as it is so noticeable!

I have tried warm compresses, the antibiotic cream, washing my face twice a day with cleanser's, etc and no sign of the redness and bump going.

I have had had rash and some spot problems around the chin/mouth area for about 2 months now but never had anything like this that is so red and noticeable and won't go away.

Any advice on this please?
by Calcio, Jan 06, 2011
Well, here i am after over a month of this problem and it is STILL here.

I've tried everything, even Benzoyl peroxide and still the red spot by my lip is still here after 6 weeks.

The doctor told me to stop using the Fucidin, and still it hasn't gone away, it isn't a cold sore, it isn't infected (as it is just a red pimple with nothing in) it is slightly raised and nothing in the world can get rid of it?!

Still, no pain or anything like that,  What on earth can i do? Please
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Jan 07, 2011
From the symptoms as I have mentioned before a cyst also needs to be ruled out. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

by Calcio, Jan 09, 2011
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Well, it seems it is no longer a 'spot' as it isn't really raised anymore, however, there is still a red mark just above the lip  and if i look closely you can see a little 'cut' sort of thing?

Now, just wondering how to reduce the redness so it isn't noticeable and a good way to restore the natural skin surface?

Im 100% certain there is no infection now as i can see no white/yellow/black on the red surface, therefore i have stopped using Fucidin cream i was prescribed.

Do you have some advice on this?

Many thanks
by Calcio, Feb 02, 2011
I have to bump this thread again...

I cant believe it, i had another small red mark on the other side just above my top lip but didnt think much of it as it wasn't noticeable. However, i woke up today and find that i have another big red spot on the opposite side to the last one i had and it is identical in appearance...

Same symptons as the last one and my initial post (stilll have a noticeable scar from the last one...) i'm wondering what the hell is happening? I cant afford for it to be there again for another 2 months, i dont understand what is wrong

Help!!

Danny
by jackboner, Mar 19, 2012
My older brother has a red mark above his lips and another bellow his lips.  They have been ther for about 2 months, and so far we don't have an idea of what it is. Please help with advice or ideas. Thank you. Please see pictures on the link bellow:   http://redabovelip.wordpress.com/2012/03/19/red-mark-above-lip-2/
by jeepswim13, Feb 21, 2013
Was wondering diagnosis I have got a similar spot on my face that showed up several weeks ago. Definitely not a pimple and does not react to acne medications and moisturizers.