Dermatology Expert Forum
Red spot on back of thigh

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red spot on back of thigh

Dear Doctor,

A red spot, kind of oval shaped about 1/2 in by 1/4 inch in size suddenly appeared on the back of my left thigh on Sunday. It is just below the crease that forms between the buttocks and the upper rear thigh. I know that it was not there before since I had been having problems with hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) so had used a mirror to apply the cream for those. Skin was perfectly white until I did the application on Sunday evening. I ran my fingernail over it lightly and it appeared at a layer of dead skin or mucus came off.

It is very very slightly raised and was slightly painful, not excrutiating though. I can sit and it does not hurt. For a couple of weeks the skin on the RIGHT thigh (not the LEFT where the spot is seemed sensitive, kind of like it would feel three days after one had burned it badly. That is to say, more extra sensitive than painful. Left side  where the spot is felt fine at that time. I attributed that sensitivity to sitting too much or getting sweaty while wearing jeans. I do not recall any injury at all to that area. I sometimes get boils on the tops of my legs where a spot about the size of a quarter will get red and very sore, but these always go down on their own in a day or two.

The spot is red, does not itch, and appears to be less sore/sensitive, just a bit. It is right where my jock briefs end and the seam is. Also appears to be where the pocket corner of my jeans is (always a bump where the denim forms a corner. Is also just about where the raised part of the cushion on my computer chairs is. You know what I mean, usually there is a lower section where the buttocks sits and then a raised portion near the front of the chair where the upper thighs make contact with the cushion.

However, I have worn jean for years as well as jockey shorts. And have also used the same type of chairs for years with no problems until now.

Questions,

1. Have been applying triple antibiotic salve morning and nite. Is that appropriate? Was not sure if an antifungal or hydrocortisone cream might be better, or a combination.

2. Seems like I have heard you say in the past that things that appear so suddenly are seldom serious? Is my memory correct?

3. Why all of a sudden after years of dressing (jeans and jockeys) and sitting the same would this spot suddenly now appear?

4. Have heard you and others say that sometimes putting the antibiotic salve in the nostrils to take care of things like this.

Am hoping it is not shingles, HIV rash or some other horrible thing. But it does not seem to match anything like that, especially the rapid appearance of it. So I am not getting super upset over this. However, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you for taking your valuable time to offer assistance.

Juan Tomas

Yes, until you get yourself examined.

Yes.

Hard to say.  It may be a patch of eczema.  These can pop up for no reason.
Only if it's bacterial folliculitis, which it doesn't sound like.

Am hoping it is not shingles, HIV rash or some other horrible thing. But it does not seem to match anything like that, especially the rapid appearance of it. So I am not getting super upset over this.
Good, because I don't think you need to.

Bottom line: leave the spots alone, don;t run your fingers over them, apply antibiotic ointment, and get yourself examined, diagnosed, and treated.  Should be straightforward.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Doesnt excema usually itch (my spot doesnt) or are there exceptions to that belief?
Not always, in mild cases.

Dr. Rockoff
pls. help me i have something in my butt and i dont know what it is it looks like an infected nerve but im not so sure. now it is growing up to my legs pls. help me A.S.A.P i
I had some pain in a small part of my left thigh and as the dayz past it changed to red and now turn to bluish.what could be the cause?