Dermatology Expert Forum
Red spot won't go away
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Red spot won't go away

For background, I previously asked a question at: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Herpes-hpv-Psoriasis/show/921784

To update you since then: The dermatologist also did not believe that it was a STD and put me on a 2.5% hydrocortisone cream.  After a week, I returned because while I had seen slight improvement in most of the papules, one of them had grown in size and looked "angrier".  I was seen by the PA who also did not believe it was an STD, she said we needed to kick it up a notch and placed me on halobetasol 2x/day for 2 weeks.  This made an immediate improvement in the condition and after two weeks went back in for a follow-up.  At this point, all but the one large/angry papule had gone away and even that one was almost non-existent.  The dermatologist recommended that I continue the halobetasol for another 2 weeks to clear that one away & told me that she believed I'd had lichen planus.  The 2 week period of continued cream use ended on Wednesday (5 weeks total cream use -- 1 @ 2.5% hydrocortisone and 4 weeks of halobetasol) by which time that one spot had was gone.  In the three days since, I have noticed some slight pain/irritation and that one spot has started to come back (by Saturday night it was again relatively pink/red and was growing in size).  I am planning on contacting the dermatologist first thing after the weekend, but would like some advice in the interim.

My two questions are:

(1) do you agree with the lichen planus diagnosis and if not, is there anything that you think this might be?

(2) I really don't want this to continue to spread, so I am tempted to start applying the halobetasol and would like your opinion on this, but my concerns are: (a) I want the dermatologist to see it without her opinion being unduly affected by the application of the medicine and (b) I have heard that long-term topical hydrocotisone cream can cause serious negative reactions.

Thanks for your opinion.