Dermatology Expert Forum
Red spots in mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red spots in mouth

In February this year I was at work when a coworker tried to kiss me at which time he stuck his tongue in my mouth. That next day I was so frecked out I couldn't eat my throat was sore and three days following I noticed some marks in my mouth especially on the inside of my cheeks which were red and would appear and disappear within two days, I've since had sores on the inside of my lips which are tiny red dots and they hurt. I also feel a pain in the back of my left leg, my husband does not show any of these conditions, my Doctor has said he thinks it's stress. But I have two children who are both complaining of burning in their mouths and have the same sores on the inside of cheeks and lips, the burning in my mouth does not seem to go away and if it's my nerves then why do my children have the same thing. I've been tested for hsv which is showing negative but I've been told those aren't always accurate. My work sent me to a infectious Doctor who said it's candida, because when this happened I started taking antibotics hoping I wouldn't catch anything, and the infectious Doctor said that caused candida. I was put on diflucan for 5 days which didn't help at all. My husband thinks it's all in my head and that I've now frecked out my children by checking their mouths when they have no clue why I'm doing it. I've taking my children into the Doctor's office and she said there are plenty of sores in and around the mouth that aren't herpes...
You certainly don't have primary herpes, because that would cause high fever and swollen glands and go away in 10 days.  Recurrent herpes causes blisters on the lips but not inside the mouth.  Candida would have gone away with the Diflucan.

I think your husband is right.  I understand your concern, given what happened to you, but it doesn't sound as though you picked up anything.

I don't know how to explain your kids' symptoms.  If they see you worrying about these symptoms, maybe their symptoms are sympathetic.  I would ask the pediatrician if he or she can think of any other explanation, but I can't think of one which would implicate you or something you caught.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff

Dr. Rockoff
I guess if you read your letter, objectively, doesn't this sound like stress to you.  You freaked out about a guy after he kissed you AND THEN you noticed all these things going on in your mouth and you couldn't eat.    It sure sounds like anxiety to me. Remember this all started by a repulsion or bad feeling inside your brain.

I think if I went to my son and started checking his mouth constantly, he would then start telling me his mouth hurt.  Something to think about.  Maybe you should start focusing outward instead of inward of your body.  I doubt if you are passing anything to your children other than panic.  If it's Candida, it will all go away, anyhow.