Dermatology Expert Forum
Red spots on body after hot shower, mild itching, scabies? bed bugs? al...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red spots on body after hot shower, mild itching, scabies? bed bugs? allergy?

I have been experiencing some mild itching for the past month. I have no visible rash throughout the day. But when I take a hot shower my chest and back develop red rash and bumps. Sometimes, I get an itching sensation at night.

After searching the internet for help, I was worried this might be scabies. But after going to the std clinic, the doc told me he didn't think it was scabies. He did, however give me a treatment of permethrin, and I did no itch after the first dose. But it's been 3 days and my symptoms are back. I tested negative for all std's. And my partner has no symptoms like mine.

The doctor told me that if it was scabies, I would have the red rash all the time, not just after a hot shower. Could it just be too early to tell? Will my body develop a rash like I get when I shower?  

What else could this be?

Thank you so much for your help!

Dear nyc123nyc,

Thanks for writing in.

Scabies presents as itchy bumps and rashes especially in the folds of the body like groin, fingers, axillae, etc. The itching is more at night and one can’t sleep at times. It is unlikely that you have scabies since these symptoms are present from the very onset of the disease.

The symptoms that you have described suggest that you could be suffering from cholinergic urticaria wherein the urticaria sets in due to heat and subsides as the temperature comes back to normal.

An antihistaminic like cyproheptadine, hydroxyzine can be helpful in these cases but avoidance of hot water and shifting over to lukewarm water alone can help in most cases.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Rohit Batra
Thank you very much for your reply Doctor. It has definitely put me more at ease.
Dear Doc,

Do my symptoms sound like herpes?
A nurse and doc at my std clinic has looked my body over and did not mention herpes. The same with my dermatologist.

Thank you