DERMATOLOGY
FORUM
Red spots on head of penis
by PJ, Nov 25, 1999
recently I had unprotected sex with my girl freind of 2.5 years. 3-4 days later a flat bright red spot apeared on the head of my penis (top). It was maybe 2mm. It faded quickly and was gone in 2 days. the day after It faded I got another one (slightly to the left of the first) I used hydrocuartisone cream and again it was gone with in 2 days. It has not happened since (over a month) There was no itching or bump (maybe a tiny darker red dot in the middle)infact the first on I didn't notice in the shower but later in the morning. The spots were longer than round and had no bumps. I had no symtoms and only noticed them by sight.
We have only had unprocted sex this one time, and are exclusive in our relationship. I have seen picture of herpes and this really didn't look like that.  What could it have been, yeast?
Answer:
242489_tn?1210500813
by Alan Rockoff, MDBlank, Nov 28, 1999
PJ:

You are right that the red bumps you described do not sound like herpes.  Herpes produces blisters which last 5 to 10 days, rather than coming or going as quickly as the once you had.  Yeast is not likely either.  most probably, you had a mild irritation or dermatitis, which is quite common after friction whether from sex or otherwise.  If you get it again, try hydrocortisone; if that works in short order, dermatitis is almost certainly the problem.

Best.

Dr. R
Related Discussions
Member Comments (9)
by james ,, Dec 20, 1999
after sexual intercourse,i get a redness and a fine little line  that appears to be a tear below the head of my penis,there is a little blood,i have been treated for psoriasis and after applying a medication it heals and goes away...it seems to occur from the friction of the intercourse...any suggestions or answers to this problem

242489_tn?1210500813
by Alan Rockoff, MDBlank, Dec 21, 1999
Vaseline, liberaly and often.

Dr. R
by George, Mar 11, 2000
I have got 4 red sores inside the area of my penis covered by my foreskin. They seem to break open. I had them a few months ago but they went. What are they.
by jeff smith, Apr 29, 2000
i have some little red spots in the head of my penis and i dont know what it is. Can you tell me what is it .
i have some little red spots in the head of my penis and i dont know what it is. Can you tell me what is it .
i have a few small red spots in my penis head and i dont know what it is and i am worry about it please can you tell me what it is
by joe ball, May 05, 2000
I WAS IN A HOT TUB LAST SUNDAY AND HAD SEX. I HAD TO PUSH PAINFULLY HARD, I NEW THAT I HAD HURT MYSELF.  TWO DAYS LATER MY PEE BEGAN TO BURN, AND I HAVE NOTICED A TEAR AT THE BASE OF MY HEAD.  IM UNCERCUMZIESD AND WORRIED THAT THIS TEAR AND BURNING I GET IS HERPES, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THAT IT ALL MIGHT BE JUST TRAUMA TO THE PENIS?   THANK YOU.
by matt, Jun 22, 2000
I have had bumps on the head of my penis (towards the rim on the superior side) nearly all my life.  As I have aged, they have become more pronounced.  I have asked my doctor, and he has said that they were simply enlarged papilli.  I find them very unnatractive and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to get rid of them, perhaps without surgery, if that can even be done.  Thank you for your help.